Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pumpkin Patch..
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Best way to kill the weeds is to turn the soil. Best to avoid weedkillers if you are growing veg. As to fertilizing - this also depends on what you are growing - leafy plants will require a higher nitrogen feed, fruiting plants will require more phosphorus. Either way as much compost as you can lay your hands on will do the ground the world of good. Your garden centre can advise you on the particular requirements for your area - re acid/alkaline soils, etc.
i saw a programme once that showed them creating a veg garden, one of the million garden type shows... anyway did not take too much in, i recall the gardener dug a trench about 45cm deep and then laid a sheet of something down on the ground.(somebody else may take this a step further :wall: ) they then replaced the soil along with compost etc. this allowed moisture to seep out / in but it stopped weeds and other live nasties from entering the good soil. you might want to investigate this instead of worring about weed and pest control.

now for me its :mrburns:

love this new icon