Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question re: Emigrating to SA
Howdy,

So heres the situation...

Both of my parents were born in Zambia to South African citizens, they were raised in Rhodesia and have never held SA citizenship although they have both held permenant residence. They're British Citizens by naturalisation (Not entitled to either Zambian or Zimbabwean passports anymore)

Anyway...In the late 80's they moved to the UK and had me (Borb british citizen...) But now both they and I feel that its time to move away from England and back to SA.

How easy would it be for them to get Permenant Res based on parentage? My paternal grandparents are both currently citizens and residents, one of whom is a born citizen, both maternal GP's are born citizens (although I think they renounced it for Rhodesian citizenship, not sure though)

Likewise through them would it be possible for me to get PR?

Thanks

Hugh
Hugh

I will do some research for you and will reply shortly. Smile
Hughmondo Wrote:Howdy,

So heres the situation...

Both of my parents were born in Zambia to South African citizens, they were raised in Rhodesia and have never held SA citizenship although they have both held permenant residence. They're British Citizens by naturalisation (Not entitled to either Zambian or Zimbabwean passports anymore)

Anyway...In the late 80's they moved to the UK and had me (Borb british citizen...) But now both they and I feel that its time to move away from England and back to SA.

How easy would it be for them to get Permenant Res based on parentage? My paternal grandparents are both currently citizens and residents, one of whom is a born citizen, both maternal GP's are born citizens (although I think they renounced it for Rhodesian citizenship, not sure though)

Likewise through them would it be possible for me to get PR?

Thanks

Hugh

Hugh, you have a complicated situation. It looks like both your parents have a claim to SA citizenship by descent. SA citizenship by descent is usually only transmitted to the first generation born abroad. Therefore you have no obvious claim to South African Citizenship. If you are under 18, you would have a parasitic right of entry under your parents right of abode, providing you accompanied them to S.A.; by the way you write, I doubt that you are under 18. Hopefully mcamp's research finds a way around this. (perhaps family reunification or something similar)

John
John01 Wrote:Hugh, you have a complicated situation. It looks like both your parents have a claim to SA citizenship by descent. SA citizenship by descent is usually only transmitted to the first generation born abroad. Therefore you have no obvious claim to South African Citizenship. If you are under 18, you would have a parasitic right of entry under your parents right of abode, providing you accompanied them to S.A.; by the way you write, I doubt that you are under 18. Hopefully mcamp's research finds a way around this. (perhaps family reunification or something similar)

John

Hugh, that covers most of the areas. If you are over 18, please let me know and I will continue to look into it.
Wow thanks John thats really helped!

The problem is i'm actually 17 at the moment so by the time my folks are looking at going out i'll be 18 (They're looking at going as I start at University, i'm looking to go in SA) Does the right to abode count for 18 and under or only under 18?

Mcapmp any more help would be greatly appreciated.
Hughmondo Wrote:Wow thanks John thats really helped!

The problem is i'm actually 17 at the moment so by the time my folks are looking at going out i'll be 18 (They're looking at going as I start at University, i'm looking to go in SA) Does the right to abode count for 18 and under or only under 18?

Mcapmp any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Hugh,

My strong advise is that your parents immediately apply for
confirmation of their SA Citizenship along with SA passports and entry permission for you, as their dependant, to accompany them to South Africa.
Following that, it is may be necessary for all of you to enter South Africa before your 18th birthday. This should satisfy the letter of the law and give you all a short breathing space to return to the UK and sort out your affairs here before returning. (This must all be checked out with the SA consulate or a SA immigration lawyer)

It is critical to put all this in place
BEFORE your 18th birthday, so if living in SA is more than an idea, you guys need to move fast with the citizenship and residence applications.
John01 Wrote:Hugh,

confirmation of their SA Citizenship along with SA passports and entry permission for you, as their dependant, to accompany them to South Africa.
Following that, it is may be necessary for all of you to enter South Africa before your 18th birthday. This should satisfy the letter of the law and give you all a short breathing space to return to the UK and sort out your affairs here before returning. (This must all be checked out with the SA consulate or a SA immigration lawyer)

BEFORE your 18th birthday, so if living in SA is more than an idea, you guys need to move fast with the citizenship and residence applications.
I couldn't stress the importance of the urgency of doing this. Good luck!!
John01 Wrote:Hugh,

Wow, that really doesn't leave much time (I'm 18 in Jan) The real issue here is that I have to do my A-levels in a years time, could they we do all of that and then return to the UK for 6 monthes or so? I think my folks are gonna have to go to SA house in London asap....

Thanks by the way!
Hughmondo Wrote:Wow, that really doesn't leave much time (I'm 18 in Jan) The real issue here is that I have to do my A-levels in a years time, could they we do all of that and then return to the UK for 6 monthes or so?

Yes, you probably could
mcamp999 Wrote:Yes, you probably could
Excellente!

I spoke to my mom and she seems to think this is concievable, although a lot of things have to be taken into account (obviously) homes, jobs, cars etc etc

But they're going to SA House soon so we shall see....

Thanks for all this by the way!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Working holiday visa question catzz220 0 3,681 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: