Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roast Parsnips
suep Wrote:Talking of Christmas veggies......this year I am going to fry the brussel sprouts with streaky bacon......saw it on a cookery programme the other night.....anyone tried them this way?

The best are fresh, not frozen, and steamed till tender. They taste completely different to the frozen variety which often become mushy from over boiling.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
spam Wrote:The best are fresh, not frozen, and steamed till tender. They taste completely different to the frozen variety which often become mushy from over boiling.

I personally enjoy Brussel Sprouts, yet hate cabbage with a passion - go figure! LOL

I love them gently sauteed in some butter with Maldon Salt and milled pepper... yet over Christmas time I had the best ones to date!

The better half prepared them (and I speak under correction) using fresh ones that had been popped into the freezer, microwaving them with butter and salt and serving them cooked perfectly: Soft, cooked, flavoursome and yet with a touch of al dente to them. Absolutely perfect in my eyes yet the recipe might take a while to come from her Rolleyes
I don't like parsnips when boiled or in stews, but they are lovely when roasted. I only use fresh parsnips, quarter them lengthways (cut along the length too if they are quite big), and roast them.

I often cut carrots about the same size as the parsnips, put the carrots and parsnips in a big roasting tray with some peeled shallots, drizzle over a mix of honey and olive oil, add a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary and black pepper, and roast in a hot oven, until starting to brown and go crispy on the edges.

DIVINE!
fred Wrote:I don't like parsnips when boiled or in stews, but they are lovely when roasted. I only use fresh parsnips, quarter them lengthways (cut along the length too if they are quite big), and roast them.

I often cut carrots about the same size as the parsnips, put the carrots and parsnips in a big roasting tray with some peeled shallots, drizzle over a mix of honey and olive oil, add a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary and black pepper, and roast in a hot oven, until starting to brown and go crispy on the edges.

DIVINE!
I agree with you.... don't like boiled parsnips at all. Roast parsnips are yummie - just had some tonight mixed in with onions, carrots and young potatoes.

Parsnips taste better earlier on in the season too. At the end of the season the core bit gets a bit bitter, and I usually cut that out.

Cheffie Wrote:I personally enjoy Brussel Sprouts, yet hate cabbage with a passion - go figure! LOL

I love them gently sauteed in some butter with Maldon Salt and milled pepper... yet over Christmas time I had the best ones to date!

The better half prepared them (and I speak under correction) using fresh ones that had been popped into the freezer, microwaving them with butter and salt and serving them cooked perfectly: Soft, cooked, flavoursome and yet with a touch of al dente to them. Absolutely perfect in my eyes yet the recipe might take a while to come from her Rolleyes

Cheffie, I am all grown-up now :p and actually like cabbage. But I must say.... I have memories as a child that it was very difficult .... just very difficult to eat it Smile

I'm one of those that likes Brussel Sprouts too.

:daisy:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roast butternut and carrot soup Cheffie 0 3,705 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: