Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scale Modelling
Hi folks,

do any of you out there have an interest in scale military modelling, whether from scratch or in kit form?

I prefer the 1/35 scale military kits, they are large enough to be well detailed without being so intricate that they are a nightmare to to work on.

I have also found Ebay an excellent way to obtain old and new kits at cheaper than retail prices, and many or old/discontinued kits too.

It is over 20 years or more since I last constructed these type of kits, and wow, how things have changed in that time, it is more a case of model engineering now than merely kit construction.

BH
I know someone who really enjoys building model aeroplanes so that he can blast them into oblivion once he has completed the project Big Grin All that effort wasted Rolleyes

On a different note I've been wanting to build a dolls house since we got here 5 years ago. There is a magazine subscription currently been advertised which was so tempting until you work out you will need to collect a 100 weeks worth of issues at £4.95 an issue works out to be one very expensive dolls house Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Jemlet
I know someone who really enjoys building model aeroplanes so that he can blast them into oblivion once he has completed the project Big Grin All that effort wasted Rolleyes

On a different note I've been wanting to build a dolls house since we got here 5 years ago. There is a magazine subscription currently been advertised which was so tempting until you work out you will need to collect a 100 weeks worth of issues at £4.95 an issue works out to be one very expensive dolls house Smile

Yup Jemlet I agree ................. all of these subscription based ones work out very expensive, the recent one for the dolls house as you say, also the WW1 aeroplane etc ! They would be cheaper for you to simply purchase a plan set and build your own - dolls houses would be fun with all of the little bits of furniture etc.

Good luck with it.

Try Hobby Craft or somewhere similar.

BH
Quote:Originally posted by BlackHawk
Hi folks,

do any of you out there have an interest in scale military modelling, whether from scratch or in kit form?

I prefer the 1/35 scale military kits, they are large enough to be well detailed without being so intricate that they are a nightmare to to work on.

I have also found Ebay an excellent way to obtain old and new kits at cheaper than retail prices, and many or old/discontinued kits too.

It is over 20 years or more since I last constructed these type of kits, and wow, how things have changed in that time, it is more a case of model engineering now than merely kit construction.

BH

Hi there

Ever since I was a child I always wanted tu build a fantasy town like we used to see in Minitowns or train sets.
However to buy kits of houses and buildings are very expensive.
Does anyone know where I can find manuals and charts to build these from scratch at the scale of HO for example
Quote:Originally posted by Didier
Hi there

Ever since I was a child I always wanted tu build a fantasy town like we used to see in Minitowns or train sets.
However to buy kits of houses and buildings are very expensive.
Does anyone know where I can find manuals and charts to build these from scratch at the scale of HO for example

Didier. Getting HO plans for buildings can be quite a pain, nigh on an impossibility. HO scale is 1/87. If you want to build actual buildings, like historical ones, then see if you can locate the measurements and simply divide by 87. To build something like an ordinary house like this is a piece of cake. Just get sheet styrene and cut it to these new measurements. Ideally 2mm thick styrene works well for this. Like everything else, though, there is a lot of trial and error. Have a look on the net for HO scale sites, they usually have a lot of good ideas.
Quote:Originally posted by BlackHawk
Hi folks,

BH

You should enjoy my brother then, they make these little soldiers spend hours making them and then play with dice and rulers - from ancient Egypt till present day, wargamers society they are, have clubs all over and a World Championship as well. All a bit batty too methinks
Never say never
Quote:Originally posted by Jemlet

Jemlet, if you want to build dolls houses or scalled down rooms/or houses, I have a cousin in SA who does it on a full time basis. If you need any help let me know, I am sure they would be willing to help.
Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
Jemlet, if you want to build dolls houses or scalled down rooms/or houses, I have a cousin in SA who does it on a full time basis. If you need any help let me know, I am sure they would be willing to help.

Thanks Jilli Smile

I was getting already to bud for a kit on ebay or else just buy a kit as I had found a really nice looking 6 bedroomed house, when our washing machine broke so I think the gods are telling me now is not the time to be building dolls houses. Wink
Jemlet, let me know if you ever need any help when you do start - nothing worse than a washing machine breaking down.Sad
As a means of increasing my model kit collection I have doscovered the wonders of Ebay Big Grin ..............

............ oh does Pumba regret introducing me to that site Wink

Still, managed to get some long out of production kits and others at good savings too :thumbs:

BH