Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season Pansies??
Quote:Originally posted by Pronkertjie
I know the slugs like petunias.... have planted a few trailing ones and will have to get some slug poison. Sad

Sorry about your worms...

Your begonias were great last year.... hope it will be the same this year. I need to give it a try too.

:daisy:

I was having a problem with slugs & snails but a few weeks ago a hedgehog moved into my garden. The slugs & snails are now being kept well under control! Big Grin Try buying some hedgehog food & putting it down in your garden at dusk & see if you can coax some to visit. Just keep in mind that slug poison will poison any hedgehogs too....
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
Quote:Originally posted by Venus
I was having a problem with slugs & snails but a few weeks ago a hedgehog moved into my garden. The slugs & snails are now being kept well under control! Big Grin Try buying some hedgehog food & putting it down in your garden at dusk & see if you can coax some to visit. Just keep in mind that slug poison will poison any hedgehogs too....

Great idea and excellent advice Venus, but you live near open spaces, I do not really..............Pronkertjie has a wood near her, so she may be able to coax a hedgehog into the oval, we live about five minutes walk from a national trust estate, but there are plenty of houses (and gardens...) before you get to our place...:mad:
Hello again .... well I did give up on the pansies LOL ... I don't really have very green fingers ... but got interested last year and had a lovely garden with petunias etc. Well this year ... all I seem to be growing are busy lizzies ... I love them and they are so easy to keep ... got lots of diff colour doubles and the singles ... so thats it for this summer ... looks nice anyway .. also have a few petunias ... And about the slugs ... I don't have the heart to kill them ... so they are thriving out there as well Sad .... maybe I should chuck them in my neighbors garden at night .... let them have murder on their concience rather :rofl:
Quote:Originally posted by sunny
Hello again .... well I did give up on the pansies LOL ... I don't really have very green fingers ... but got interested last year and had a lovely garden with petunias etc. Well this year ... all I seem to be growing are busy lizzies ... I love them and they are so easy to keep ... got lots of diff colour doubles and the singles ... so thats it for this summer ... looks nice anyway .. also have a few petunias ... And about the slugs ... I don't have the heart to kill them ... so they are thriving out there as well Sad .... maybe I should chuck them in my neighbors garden at night .... let them have murder on their concience rather :rofl:

Now then, I never seem to have luck with busy lizzies again. I do not mind the snails so much, but those slippery slugs..Sick
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
Now then, I never seem to have luck with busy lizzies again. I do not mind the snails so much, but those slippery slugs..Sick

Hi Joan ... yes somehow when the slugs have a house on their backs (snails) they just look cuter LOL .... I find the single busy lizzies seem to be the toughest ... the doubles a bit more delicate ... but they look like little roses so I never stop trying with them ... they come in such lovely colours. At the moment I'm growing quite a few from cuttings and they are taking so easily. Also trying to grow some African violets from leaves ... so far so good Smile ... PS ... My busy lizzies are all in pots or hanging baskets and potting soil.
Quote:Originally posted by sunny
Hi Joan ... yes somehow when the slugs have a house on their backs (snails) they just look cuter LOL .... I find the single busy lizzies seem to be the toughest ... the doubles a bit more delicate ... but they look like little roses so I never stop trying with them ... they come in such lovely colours. At the moment I'm growing quite a few from cuttings and they are taking so easily. Also trying to grow some African violets from leaves ... so far so good Smile ... PS ... My busy lizzies are all in pots or hanging baskets and potting soil.

Hi Sunny

How do you grow the busy lizzies from a cutting? Do you have to put it in water first to get roots, or do you plant it straight away?

:daisy: