Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smokers should not bedshare with babies
Read more ...

While feeling a little relieved that I have never smoked so I am not at risk, I did feel upset on behalf of mothers who do smoke and have babies. I used to find it such a godsend in the early hours of the morning when my babies were still breastfeeding three-hourly, to let them sleep next to me. I used to love snuggling up to that little body, although, granted, it wasn't very restful waking up every now and then to check we hadn't smothered him or her! :haha:
The mother/child bond is so important, so having to put your baby in its cold cot can't be right
Sad
What do you think?
the mother who smokes should go sleep in the cot
TheDuck Wrote:the mother who smokes should go sleep in the cot

Oh really ???

I smoke - ever since the 9th grade - never wanted to stop, except while I was pregnant ..........

My babies slept in our bed, though I've never breastfed - but I don't smoke in the bedroom, the car, etc when they're around - and I can honestly say that I have healthy boys !!

I have a cat sleeping now in what used to be the little one's cot - get the message - nails showing !!!!

:rofl:
TheDuck Wrote:the mother who smokes should go sleep in the cot

All depends what she smokes.... If it's old socks she should move to the garden shed... :p

Dudette, not having read the link you posted I can't see what your post has to with parents that smoke... (I assume it's cigarettes we're talking about)

Is this about smoking while breast feeding in the bedroom in the middle of the night or about something else :confused:
dudette Wrote:Read more ...

While feeling a little relieved that I have never smoked so I am not at risk, I did feel upset on behalf of mothers who do smoke and have babies. I used to find it such a godsend in the early hours of the morning when my babies were still breastfeeding three-hourly, to let them sleep next to me. I used to love snuggling up to that little body, although, granted, it wasn't very restful waking up every now and then to check we hadn't smothered him or her! :haha:
The mother/child bond is so important, so having to put your baby in its cold cot can't be right
Sad
What do you think?

I disagree....my child was in his own room in his own cot at 4 months old...i bonded perfectly well with him....:hartlik: too many incidents have happened where the child is smothered when the mom or dad have rolled over the child.... :babyroll:

Many mothers smoke but they smoke outside and not near the child....but i agree if you are saying that the mother is smoking in the vicinity of the child...confined spaces are not good......all the more so if both parents are smoking ....
Icecub Wrote:I disagree....my child was in his own room in his own cot at 4 months old...i bonded perfectly well with him....:hartlik: too many incidents have happened where the child is smothered when the mom or dad have rolled over the child.... :babyroll:

Many mothers smoke but they smoke outside and not near the child....but i agree if you are saying that the mother is smoking in the vicinity of the child...confined spaces are not good......all the more so if both parents are smoking ....

I also had my children in their own rooms at 4 months. Breastfed my last one until he was 22 months. Mothers with babies shouldn't smoke at all. :noway: ...when the mother smokes the baby doesn't smell like a baby. I cringe when I see pregnant women or mother's with babies smoking
penelope Wrote:...when the mother smokes the baby doesn't smell like a baby....

You mean dirty bottoms ???? :crylol:
Jangar Wrote:You mean dirty bottoms ???? :crylol:

dirty bottoms smell better ...... :crylol: :crylol:
Jangar Wrote:You mean dirty bottoms ???? :crylol:

dirty bottoms can be cleaned but babies surrounded by smokey enviroments don't :noway:
Ideally mothers shouldn't smoke, but this is not realistic ... you are certainly not going to get smokers to stop unless they are ready to.
Secondly, my babies slept in their little carry cot next to our bed as a rule, and then at around 3 months they were moved to their own cot. But this didn't stop me, if I felt like it, letting my baby sleep in the bed with me from time to time. Smile
I suppose what the article is talking about is babies co-sleeping on a regular basis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Babies Choice penelope 1 3,256 15-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Last Post: dudette
  Signing for babies dudette 11 6,492 04-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Last Post: Court
  New law says 11-year-olds must use car seats, just like babies Pronkertjie 0 6,965 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: