Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some facts and figures , concerning healthcare
( a subject dear to my old heart , and not as I require a quadruple bypass just yet )
- the waiting list , for non-emergency operations in U.K. stood at 792.000 as in December 2005 ;
- the government's target , for 2008 , is that no one should wait longer than 18 weeks for an operation ;
- 81% of 3.000 British public , polled by Brit.National Centre for Social research , wants shorter waits than this
( yet-to-be achieved , i.e. "when" or "if" ) target ;
- under the European Community Law E112 rule , any EU-citizen suffering "undue delays" in receiving treatment in their home country , is entitled to have the operation in another member state ;
- to test this , a 74-yrs' old mrs Yvonne Watts of Bedfordshire chose not to wait for months and months for a new hip , but had one "done" in Abeville , France , costing her Euro 5.200 ( GBP 3.600 approx. ) ; since the NHS trust refused authorising her treatment abroad , she has broght an action for reimbursement to European Court of Justice in Luxembourg , whose landmark ruling is due in the next few weeks ;
- if positive , this might have huge implications for NHS resources , as many more patients can hop on Eurostar and be finished with over-long waiting periods , and rid of their their misery , in some nicer hospital or clinic , abroad ...;
- cardiac surgery in Belgium is widely regarded as the best in all Europe ; a heart bypass costs around Euro10.000 ( GBP 6.900 ) , whereas in Germany it can cost 50-80% more !
- one serious reason , why there is an ever-inceasing number of "health tourists " here : in the last 12 months , 100.000 patients in British hospitals got infected there ( MRSA etc. ) of which : over 5.000 died .
- for reasonably-priced , 1st class dentistry , Hungary is THE place , even after accounting for the travel expenses !
The situation is worse than that by far, and I can quote my wifes case. There is a waiting list to go on a waiting list and these figures are not reflected at all.
Alternatively , I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Eurostar option ...
Ray Wrote:Alternatively , I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Eurostar option ...

Ray, she broke her sternum 14 months ago and it hasn't healed. Surgery is a possibility, but it suddenly looks as if there is a slight improvement. But this aftert months and months of pain and one huge mess up after another, as well as moving from waiting list to waiting list.

Thanks for asking though Smile
I hope : not from osteoporosis ?
In any case , it might be a good suggestion to get another opinion , from somewhere more patient-friendly ;
if you wish , I could make some enquiries ???
...about drugs and the elderly , hardly makes one jumping for joy , either!
Ray Wrote:I hope : not from osteoporosis ?
In any case , it might be a good suggestion to get another opinion , from somewhere more patient-friendly ;
if you wish , I could make some enquiries ???
We are waiting for some more results as they are now fast tracking her because of the fear of being sued for negligence. But will keep your offer in mind, thank you. No, it is not osteoporosis, she was playing around with our son and it happened as an accident. Then 4 months later she was in a car accident which brought it all on again.
Let us know , how she gets on...