Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sponsorship of South African Immigrant
I need some advice on this issue and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction so that I have my facts and figures straight.

I have been approached by a friend in South Africa whose mother is desperate to get into the UK. The mother is wanting to get an ancestral visa before the window of opportunity closes on this (as has been reported). However I have been informed that she needs to have documentation to take to the Embassy/Consulate in Pretoria stating that she has employment in the UK (company, position and income stated in letter).

I run a small company here in England and my friend has asked if it would be possible to put together a letter for her mother to present to the British authorities on behalf of the organisation I run that will facilitate her acquiring a visa for the UK.

I think it might be important to mention at this point, that I will not be employing this person, nor providing for her. She just needs something official to present to British immigration so that she can obtain a visa. She will look for employment on her own merits when/if she gets to England.

I have not given my agreement to this, however, I said that I would look into the matter and come back to her with an answer. There are a few questions that have been raised in my mind that I would like some help with.

1. Is guarantee of employment required for an ancestral visa?
2. What are the implications for me and my small organisation if a letter is presented to the British authorities?
3. Will the British authorities follow this up and want to see legal documentation that this person is employed and drawing income from my organisation?
4. Am I in fact sponsoring this person to come into the country? Do I need to show evidence of the fact that I will be responsible for this person's health insurance, housing situation, pension, etc, in the event that she cannot provide for herself and won't be a burden to the state?
1. Is guarantee of employment required for an ancestral visa?

Yes, they will always ask for it, they will also require a letter of accomodation

2. What are the implications for me and my small organisation if a letter is presented to the British authorities?

None, I have done this for many people that have come over here

3. Will the British authorities follow this up and want to see legal documentation that this person is employed and drawing income from my organisation?

No, I have done this for many people that have come over here

4. Am I in fact sponsoring this person to come into the country? Do I need to show evidence of the fact that I will be responsible for this person's health insurance, housing situation, pension, etc, in the event that she cannot provide for herself and won't be a burden to the state?

As above, we have helped many people in this manner and have had no comeback. I have a number of friends who have done the same.
mcamp, thank you for your help and advice. I do appreciate this very much.
Just one correction to MCAMPS reply; a job offer is not a requirement for the grant of an ancestry visa. The ability to work is essential; it seems that registering with a few UK based employment agencies is enough to fulfil this condition.

A job offer does help hugely in smoothing the path of the application. (The main requirement of the application is that the applicant proves that they are likely to be self sufficient in the UK.)
John01 Wrote:Just one correction to MCAMPS reply; a job offer is not a requirement for the grant of an ancestry visa. The ability to work is essential; it seems that registering with a few UK based employment agencies is enough to fulfil this condition.

A job offer does help hugely in smoothing the path of the application. (The main requirement of the application is that the applicant proves that they are likely to be self sufficient in the UK.)

John

Whilst you are technically correct, you should find out what it is like trying to deal with the Brirish Consulate in Pretoria. They will put all manner of obstacles in your way and that is why I say it tends to be essential when applying for the ancestral visa.
Otherwise it can become a really long and drawn out process.
Malcolm,

It is nearly impossible to obtain a job offer when you are far away from the job. I think it is better that people know that there are alternate routes to consider rather than just looking at this thread and saying, "no way, that is too difficult, I give up"
John01 Wrote:Malcolm,

It is nearly impossible to obtain a job offer when you are far away from the job. I think it is better that people know that there are alternate routes to consider rather than just looking at this thread and saying, "no way, that is too difficult, I give up"

John, that is not entirly correct either. It is possible to obtain a job offer when you are far away. My husband for one managed it and I do of at least six other people who had jobs before they left South Africa.
[Image: qubranch_sig.gif]
John01 Wrote:Malcolm,

John

I see your point, you are right in that you should at least show willingness to look for a job, that is all that is required.
Basically she will need to prove that she is employable, has sufficient funds to support herself, has accommodation etc. I noted that the answers above say that it is OK to do so, however even though this has never been challenged in mcamps past, should you provide undertakings of employment/accommodation etc for the purposes of obtaining a visa, it means that the visa would be issued under false pretences and you could be liable for fraud if it were ever investigated. I know this is common practice but it does not make it right to do so and should she not find a job, accommodation etc you could be held bound to provide such.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South Africa House Bean of Love 0 14,027 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Sponsorship 0 3,866 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: