Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stretches...to do or not and when
As both an ex-runner and a fairly frequent squash player, I have always been taught the value of stretching before participating. Now having got into martial arts again, I am beginning to ponder the place of stretches in exercise.
Believe me we stretch, but it is during or after a session, preference been given to warming up with light jogging and flexing rather that stretching.
So I have been doing some reading and have come across static and dynamic stretching. Static being the typical type of stretching that gets advocated prior to exercise vs dynamic which is putting the muscles through the expected range of movements that they will be expected to do.

I have found that by spending more time on warm up prior to running....starting with a slow walk, progressing into a brisk walk and then into the run, then using static stretches as part of my cool down routine, I am managing a better quality of run, with a faster recovery rate. Proper breathing into the stretches also helps control breathing.

For the martial arts dynamic stretching from cold is a plus, you do not have time to warm up when having to deal with a sudden attack, so full muscle range is required instantaneously......
Interesting topic and other opinions would be appreciated.....
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
I'm very ashamed to say that I never stretch - not before and not after. The most I will do if to put my leg on my bicycle wheel to give the hamstrings a bit of a workout!

Actually it is so hot here in Durban that all the muscles are always in a state of warm up! Smile
I still love chocolate.
there is still a continual debate regarding stretching and its benefits

Spam, how you described walking to get the circulation going etc before stretching is considered the safest way to go about things ...

Each person is unique and over the years of coaching I have truly been confounded by some of the athletes I have coached .. some most flexible and others as rigid as a board ... with no exception as to whether stretching would make them better athletes

as one gets older .. myself playing footie .. I find if I do not warm up slightly with stretches etc I will pick up a niggle .. almost everytime ..

On Time-to-Run we provide data about stretching for those who want to stretch .. in the US all the various aspects associated with stretching is the rage .. however the one thing that truly benefits runners is running

good luck with your various pursuits