Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Library Bus
This Duck so loves the services of this country

Every Wednesday at 4.20pm the Library Bus arrives.

One person drives the bus and then does the administration of those taking books out on the laptops in the bus. [bus is a long coach]

If you take books out at the main library in the town, you can return them to the bus.

Do any of you still have this service in the area you live?

:read:
TheDuck Wrote:This Duck so loves the services of this country

Every Wednesday at 4.20pm the Library Bus arrives.

One person drives the bus and then does the administration of those taking books out on the laptops in the bus. [bus is a long coach]

If you take books out at the main library in the town, you can return them to the bus.

Do any of you still have this service in the area you live?

:read:

I have seen a library bus doing the rounds in the inner city here in Dublin, right close to where I am working, but never out where I live. We do have a great library up there though - whereas the one I belonged to in the city had books at least 10 years out of date, the one in our village (really only a suburb now) is completely up to date, and includes titles published in 2004, which I am very impressed with.
quite amazed that they have this service in Ireland

Finland is known for its higher standard of services ... not sure how long this will last with the expanding of the EU etc

But, still a great plus at present

:holmes:
This country is still very rural so this kind of service operates throughout the smaller villages and towns but I was also surprised to see it in the city - but then again, there are only a handful of libraries within the city limits, and they are a fair distance apart - if you want to encourage youngsters/pensioners to read, best bring the books to them.
yes we have the library bus here too...:thumbs: definitely helps with folks out in the countryside..... :crylol:

we had one that used to do the rounds in my neighbourhood when i was younger..it was such a pleasure...:thumbs:
Icecub Wrote:we had one that used to do the rounds in my neighbourhood when i was younger..

Did they read many books in the 50's

Smile
TheDuck Wrote:Did they read many books in the 50's

Smile

:crylol: :crylol:

nee wat...talk about pot calling kettle black.. :p
Hi Everybody,
What an absolutely good idea. We used to have ones in Cape Town before suitable buildings were available. I live in a medium-sized town in Austria & we have a modern library but it takes me about 6 months to read all the English books then I have to wait for about another six months before I can start reading again. So appreciate your libraries - you don't run out of books like I do. I try swapping books but it is difficult to find people.
Eleanor
AustrianEllie Wrote:Hi Everybody,
What an absolutely good idea. We used to have ones in Cape Town before suitable buildings were available. I live in a medium-sized town in Austria & we have a modern library but it takes me about 6 months to read all the English books then I have to wait for about another six months before I can start reading again. So appreciate your libraries - you don't run out of books like I do. I try swapping books but it is difficult to find people.
Eleanor

Ellie, the bus books are in Suomi [Finnish]. So, the son enjoys it. I take out the occasional English book from the library in town

Of course the return of the kiddie videos are made easier too

Smile
We have mobile libraries here in Wiltshire in the UK, although I do not need to use them - they are a good service.
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-