Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The reach of a chef - Michael Ruhlman
The third in his books about chefs (the previous being The making of a chef and The soul of a chef was inspired writing from one of America's finest food journalists.

His ability to get into the mindset of a chef, observe the little nuances and adequately explain to both professional and lay is remarkable.

Great read on where the whole chef trend is at, where it's going and the role of chefs in today's world.

Highly recommend all three books though :thumbs:
Cheffie..... I am reading Making of a Chef..... and thoroughly enjoy it! Just started a few days again and I am reading it slowly - I don't want to miss anything. I keep on going back a page. Love it!!!! You told us about it a long time ago.... never got round to read it. Blush

If you like food and cooking..... well worth reading!!! Very inspiring.

:chef:
Great book Blom!

Am curious as to why you finally decided to pick it up?

If you'd like to borrow the other 2 books from me and read them, just let me know and I'll drop them off.

Great author though.. really gets into the mindset of a cook :thumbs:
Cheffie Wrote:Great book Blom!

Am curious as to why you finally decided to pick it up?

If you'd like to borrow the other 2 books from me and read them, just let me know and I'll drop them off.

Great author though.. really gets into the mindset of a cook :thumbs:

Since you recommended it many moons ago I wanted to and when you mentioned it again, I thought that it is now or never..... lol. Really like it.

Yes please, I would like to read the other two..... my life is going to be a bit upside down the next few weeks with a conference, but will be very happy to read it afterwards!!

:blom:
We'll do coffee and you can give me your shopping list with books. The Soul of a Chef, Letters to a young Chef and Kitchen Confidential along with the Reach of a Chef will keep your brain occupied Wink

What impresses me most is that he actually took the time to go and work the line, do the training and he's a keen observer in all the nuances - and then he's able to put it into words to accurately describe it.
[COLOR=Navy]es, he puts you right in the kitchen.

In the beginning of the book he told the story of his granduncle Bill who wrote to him and outlined some definitions of art - he was describing a meal he had.

"The total meal involved many things", he wrote,"but what I have never forgotten is the potaoes. There were no fancy sauces, no tricky seasonings, no admixture with other ingredients - just plain small cubeds of potato cooked in such a way that the surfaces were delicately crisp and crunch and the inside, rich, smooth, and flavorful. One was simultaneously aware both of exquisite texture and marvelous taste. The lesson is taught me was that the chef hadn't used the potato as a basis of displaying flashy, flamboyant skills, but had placed his skills as an artist in the service of the potato."

This really got my attention ..... I am learning as I am reading.... and oh boy, do I have a lot to learn! Smile

:jive: