Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts "Open Office"
Is anyone using it on a regular basis and if so what's it like?

We are having to update our IT suite at school and we are thinking along the lines of using Open Office to save a few pennies. Some feedback if anyone is using it would be great!

:beg:
[Image: qubranch_sig.gif]
I have most of the software but haven't set-up Linux yet

there is just so much stuff coming out
lols Wrote:Is anyone using it on a regular basis and if so what's it like?

We are having to update our IT suite at school and we are thinking along the lines of using Open Office to save a few pennies. Some feedback if anyone is using it would be great!

:beg:
I haven't used it lately but I had used it over a period of around 2 years. It's every bit as good as they say it is. It does all the MSWord/Excel stuff and more. It can also read Microsoft created files in Word or Excel. The list is endless, too much to include here. Whilst it is pretty close to the way MS Office works there are of course differences. However, if you've used MS Office then you shouldn't have any trouble getting to grips with "Open Office". It's certainly a powerful suite. For the total cost of £Nil you can't go wrong.

The latest version has now introduced a database but I haven't used it so can't comment. One new feature (among many) is the capability to create PDF Files of your documents. This enables you to send them in emails to anyone without a problem when they come to read them, no matter what software they use.

As it's free why not try before you buy. Besides the usual Word Processor and Spreadsheet there are a host of other elements to the suite including a program very much like Powerpoint. It can even read Powerpoint produced files.

Just for the record this is available in both Windows and Linux so take your pick.

For full details take a look at the website at the following link:-

http://www.openoffice.org/

Go for it.

Good luck

HH
:thumbs: Confusedurfing: Confusedunny:
Thanks for your imput. I have just installed it and will be using it from now on!
[Image: qubranch_sig.gif]
Lols we have switched over from MS to OpenOffice at my workplace with no probs whatsoever.

Ade

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latest Office version lols 2 3,402 14-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Last Post: FlyingBok
  Open Source Alternatives TheDuck 0 3,314 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: