Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toilet training for puppies
What are the latest trends for training puppies? I remember putting the puppy's nose in it's wee or poo and then putting it outside, while telling it its been a naughty dog etc ... has anyone used other methods?
I'm not sure. I am having a problem with my one kitten who seems to be unlearning the toilet training he has had - has started to wee in the bath and poop in the handbasin, and also wees downstairs - I have slapped him around a bit, as well as restricted his access to places like the bathroom, and sterilised everywhere where he has messed, but for some reason he refuses to use the litterbox that just a week ago he virtually lived in (and it is sterile and ultra-clean).
Dudette, a friend of mine recently got a lovely little puppy, a cross between a chow & a terrier & whenever she messed they also "rubbed her nose" in it then took her outside. Lately she yaps when she needs to do anything but I guess certain breeds are different. Good luck.
BB, we have a cat & when she was a kitten she also used to use her litter box but after a while she started using the bath too. During the day I now leave a window open for her & she hasn't messed inside. At night, I now leave her litter box in our bathroom & she uses it, maybe she knows that's what bathrooms are for.
Good luck.
dudette Wrote:What are the latest trends for training puppies? I remember putting the puppy's nose in it's wee or poo and then putting it outside, while telling it its been a naughty dog etc ... has anyone used other methods?

hey sweetpea....

u got a puppy too..... :cloud9: listen i will send u website i have been looking into for tips and stuff....wot kind of puppy do you have?

mine is almost four months now and he seems to have gotten the picture but often does also make doodoo's in the house.....i take him out every hour to the same patch of grass in the back and make sure he makes what he has to...and i praise him when he has done it...."like good boy" use the same words all the time so he can get used to it.....

i got wonderful carpet rescue stuff from the pet shop...works fab....buy lotsa kitchen paper rolls.....we went thru a fair bit when we first the little one...

i seem to be having a problem with him in the rain...he refuses to go on the wet grass.....so last night he had an accident in the kitchen.... Blush i dunno wot to do.....HELP!
Icecub Wrote:hey sweetpea....

u got a puppy too..... :cloud9: listen i will send u website i have been looking into for tips and stuff....wot kind of puppy do you have?

mine is almost four months now and he seems to have gotten the picture but often does also make doodoo's in the house.....i take him out every hour to the same patch of grass in the back and make sure he makes what he has to...and i praise him when he has done it...."like good boy" use the same words all the time so he can get used to it.....

i got wonderful carpet rescue stuff from the pet shop...works fab....buy lotsa kitchen paper rolls.....we went thru a fair bit when we first the little one...

i seem to be having a problem with him in the rain...he refuses to go on the wet grass.....so last night he had an accident in the kitchen.... Blush i dunno wot to do.....HELP!
Putting a puppy's nose in the poo is from Noah's Ark....our dog is a year old now and it's seldom that she has as accident indoors....she goes to the door and cries to go out...I also let her outdoors regularly. Cubbie our dog doesn't like the rain either but she's got no option.. if Sam doesn't walk out on his ownthen pick him up....let him know who the boss is. I know of several people that have bought cat boxes for their dogs to do their business in...makes it easier in the winter. Remember that Sam still is only a puppy so don't get angry with him.... how long did it take you to get out of diapers Wink when you see him doing something then pick him up and put him outdoors. I went shopping yesterday and had Candy with me.....she nearly made a poo in a busy street and I nearly died of embarrasment...I quickly picked her up and took her to a place that was secluded. I used Sunlight kitchen handsoap when Candy had an accident indoors....takes away the smell. Ammonia is also good to use when puppies/dogs have an accident...they don't go back to the same place.
penelope Wrote:Putting a puppy's nose in the poo is from Noah's Ark....our dog is a year old now and it's seldom that she has as accident indoors....she goes to the door and cries to go out...I also let her outdoors regularly. Cubbie our dog doesn't like the rain either but she's got no option.. if Sam doesn't walk out on his ownthen pick him up....let him know who the boss is. I know of several people that have bought cat boxes for their dogs to do their business in...makes it easier in the winter. Remember that Sam still is only a puppy so don't get angry with him.... how long did it take you to get out of diapers Wink when you see him doing something then pick him up and put him outdoors. I went shopping yesterday and had Candy with me.....she nearly made a poo in a busy street and I nearly died of embarrasment...I quickly picked her up and took her to a place that was secluded. I used Sunlight kitchen handsoap when Candy had an accident indoors....takes away the smell. Ammonia is also good to use when puppies/dogs have an accident...they don't go back to the same place.

thanks penelope..... :cloud9:

i do pick him up...he has no choice :p

we also installed a dog flap..and he loves it...goes out when he needs to...brilliant use...

u are right about him being still a puppy.....do u know how long it does take a dog to eventually get it right?

also another tip i picked up..i use a water spray bottle...so when he nips at me or tries to chew anything of ours..i spritz him...works well.....
Icecub Wrote:thanks penelope..... :cloud9:

i do pick him up...he has no choice :p

we also installed a dog flap..and he loves it...goes out when he needs to...brilliant use...

u are right about him being still a puppy.....do u know how long it does take a dog to eventually get it right?

also another tip i picked up..i use a water spray bottle...so when he nips at me or tries to chew anything of ours..i spritz him...works well.....

Wonder where you get all your tips from :mmm: Smile I also use the spray bottle when she barks to much....put tabasco sauce on the things that Sam chews....does wonders.....he'll bite once and then the next time just the smell will be enough. You can also reward him when he goes outdoors to do his business. It's individual how long they take to be housetrained....Candy is over a year and has the occasional accident...can count on my one hand the accidents she's had over a period of several months..
Icecub Wrote:hey sweetpea....

Thank you, cubbie Smile
We have a springer spaniel ... the cutest little boy, but naughty! Rolleyes
Thanks for the tips... my friendly pet store owner also told me that when his dog barks unnecessarily, he has a bottle of gravel which he shakes, which distracts the dog.
Sorry, I have no idea about the wet garden though... short of patting it dry beforehand for him ... Wink
dudette Wrote:Thank you, cubbie Smile
We have a springer spaniel ... the cutest little boy, but naughty! Rolleyes
Thanks for the tips... my friendly pet store owner also told me that when his dog barks unnecessarily, he has a bottle of gravel which he shakes, which distracts the dog.
Sorry, I have no idea about the wet garden though... short of patting it dry beforehand for him ... Wink

Ah gorgeous....u got a pic?

I have been getting the tips off a doggie website...i will look it up and paste the link here....very good they are... :p

Patting the garden dry..u nuts woman.... :crylol: he just has to learn..... Cool