Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truffles.. nature's magic mushroom
Howzit all

I've recently purchased some truffles from our veg supplier and wondered if any of you might have any experience in cooking, eating, preserving etc .. basically anything to do with Black Truffles from Perigord.

Granted they're hellishly expensive now... in winter they cost up to 10times more :o

Any info, links etc would be much appreciated
G
Quote:Originally posted by Cheffie
Howzit all

I've recently purchased some truffles from our veg supplier and wondered if any of you might have any experience in cooking, eating, preserving etc .. basically anything to do with Black Truffles from Perigord.

Granted they're hellishly expensive now... in winter they cost up to 10times more :o

Any info, links etc would be much appreciated
G

Your friend Gordon Ramsay will know Smile :p
Quote:Originally posted by Pronkertjie
Your friend Gordon Ramsay will know Smile :p

so will my other friend Jean Christophe Novelli Rolleyes

I was wondering if any of you had experience with working/ cooking etc regarding these tasty morsels

I was wondering if any of you had experience with working/ cooking etc regarding these tasty morsels

My apologies for the hijack!

Did you say tasty ??? How could your taste buds sink so low ??? :p

*Just wanted to bring this thread into the "View New Posts" area* ( even though I have an intense dislike for the subject being discussed :p )
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Did you say tasty ??? How could your taste buds sink so low ??? :p

You heathen of all things culinary! Rolleyes

And yes.. I have managed to make some wonderful Summer Truffle oil along with glorious Truffle and Port wine Jus Wink

I'll provide recipes for any non-heathens if asked Big Grin
Cheffie - the best way to eat truffle is slivered over buttered brown bread!

Failing that used as a component in a creamy sauce for fillet steak with a pastry dop on top or some such thing.

I was actually going to ask you if you know where I can get truffle paste? Seeing as how truffles are expensive and pretty much unavailable here and also given that I would only use it as a component for a range of sauces, the paste will do (for my uneducated palate) but I am having a hard time sourcing it.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
I was actually going to ask you if you know where I can get truffle paste? Seeing as how truffles are expensive and pretty much unavailable here and also given that I would only use it as a component for a range of sauces, the paste will do (for my uneducated palate) but I am having a hard time sourcing it.

BB

Any speciality store here in the UK should have it.

alternatively get a cheap flight over here, arrange with a veg supplier (you can use mine if you like) to get the truffles in and then take them back with you to your home.

It'd probably be cheaper doing this and being able to make your own paste than to buy it in.

Truffles are going up at a remarkable rate - the sooner you get here... the better Wink

Heard an interesting story from a chef the other day...

This fella flies to Italy a few times a month, buys a fortune worth of White Truffle and then flies to the States and sells it there for a huge profit!

He's overwhelmed with demand LOL... thats until Customs cares to have a look!
BB

Any speciality store here in the UK should have it.

alternatively get a cheap flight over here, arrange with a veg supplier (you can use mine if you like) to get the truffles in and then take them back with you to your home.

It'd probably be cheaper doing this and being able to make your own paste than to buy it in.

Truffles are going up at a remarkable rate - the sooner you get here... the better Wink

Heard an interesting story from a chef the other day...

This fella flies to Italy a few times a month, buys a fortune worth of White Truffle and then flies to the States and sells it there for a huge profit!

He's overwhelmed with demand LOL... thats until Customs cares to have a look!

You can buy trees with roots that have been innoculated with truffle mycelium in the UK. Guaranteed to start producing truffles in 3 to 5 years, with peak production starting at 8 years...

I might just take you up on the offer of flying over - that will be next year though.
I had ravioli with a truffle and cream sauce while we were in Italy. I was absolutely overwhelmed by the richness of the flavour. WOW - it was my first taste of truffles but now I'm hooked. I don't think I'll be brave enought to cook with it because it is so expensive.
I still love chocolate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mushroom ravioli with truffle garnish recipe DMG-network 0 2,733 16-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Last Post: DMG-network
  Culinary Magic by Swissotel Nai Lert Park DMG-network 0 2,680 13-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Last Post: DMG-network