Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vinyl versus CD
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Ja I can understand that belt drive wouldnt work for you. But to be honest Ed clubbers arent after the ultimate in sound quality so that bit of buzz isnt too much of an issue. HOWEVER probably the greatest top end turntable ever made is the Linn LP12 - made up in Scotland - which has actually become pretty popular amongst DJ's wanting absolute sound quality. However bareing in mind that a fuly setup LP12 with arm and cartridge is going to cost you around 5-6k you can see why it isnt a popular option!

Ed if I do get around to buying myself one of those babies, I shall invite you round for a beer! Big Grin

Heh heh, you're right, usually the music is so loud that they really don't notice the buzzing.... probably think the buzzing is coming from inside their heads... :haha:

I might just take you up on that offer... Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Technic's 1200 ?

BTW did you know that a turntable is able to replay frequencies up to 25 kHz and a good amp is able to amplify frequencies that high ? Most often that is the reason why vinyl 'feels' better than CD's as even though you cannot hear these frequencies you can feel them...

The sample rate of modern CD players allows them to play frequencies well outside human hearing...so the argument would hold true that cd sound can be "felt" too. Earlier models may not have sounded as good but if you listen to somebody like Eric Clapton playing Layla on a DDD recording you are going to hear clarity probably impossible with a stylus,
The same arguments are heard for valve vs transistor amplifiers,
Flat sound or filtered.....each to their own...what sounds good for one does not necessarily hold good for another. What location is good for one system is not good for another.....even the characteristics of the human ear vary from person to person so it really boils down to a matter of personal taste and most people will not be able to hear the difference between a £200 and a £1000 turntable.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
Quote:Originally posted by edmonsta
Nope, they're Numark TTx1's. They're the daddies! Big Grin

http://www.ttx1.com/

It was a huge toss up between the technics sl's and the Numarks, but in the end, the Numarks won the battle and went home with me, firstly because they have more torque than the Technics, they feel much better and they just look so darn beauootiful! Big Grin

They reckon that these babies are the turntables that Technics wishes they were...

Technics are still great though. (in my, er, expert opinion, of course)

What a baby Big Grin

I want one !!!! Not that it would do me much good as a Hi-Fi model though :p
Quote:Originally posted by spam
The sample rate of modern CD players allows them to play frequencies well outside human hearing...so the argument would hold true that cd sound can be "felt" too. Earlier models may not have sounded as good but if you listen to somebody like Eric Clapton playing Layla on a DDD recording you are going to hear clarity probably impossible with a stylus,
Flat sound or filtered.....each to their own...what sounds good for one does not necessarily hold good for another. What location is good for one system is not good for another.....even the characteristics of the human ear vary from person to person so it really boils down to a matter of personal taste and most people will not be able to hear the difference between a £200 and a £1000 turntable.

More than likely true, what I quoted was from way back when, when CD players were relatively new Smile

As for hearing the quality difference, doesn't it all boil down to the quality of the speakers in the end ? After all they are the final link of the output and are always analogue....

Heard some great speakers two weekends ago at a sound and vision trade fair... I think they were made by Linn, but at a cost of £32 000 (not sure if that is each or for the pair) they are definetely not worth it....

Like you say it all boils down to personal taste and shape of your ear...
Quote:Originally posted by spam

Spam go compare an vinyl copy of an album playing against a DDD one and you will hear - unless tonedeaf - that the DDD copy sounds cold, flat and lifeless. CD's inferior sound quality in comparison to vinyl has been proven time and time again in listening tests using real ears! Scientific measurement will never be a good marker of sound quality. However with the new formats of SACD and DVD-A the sound quality is comparable with vinyl unlike CD. Over the next five years these formats will become standard and CD as we know it will die out.

Spam do yourself a favour and go into a hi-fi shop with a cheap £200 turntable and compare it to a decent Linn, Rega, Pro-jekt or Roksan and you will hear the difference in quality that a good turntable, arm and cartridge make. The amount of information that is retrieved from the grooves is amazing.
Spam go compare an vinyl copy of an album playing against a DDD one and you will hear - unless tonedeaf - that the DDD copy sounds cold, flat and lifeless. CD's inferior sound quality in comparison to vinyl has been proven time and time again in listening tests using real ears! Scientific measurement will never be a good marker of sound quality. However with the new formats of SACD and DVD-A the sound quality is comparable with vinyl unlike CD. Over the next five years these formats will become standard and CD as we know it will die out.

Spam do yourself a favour and go into a hi-fi shop with a cheap £200 turntable and compare it to a decent Linn, Rega, Pro-jekt or Roksan and you will hear the difference in quality that a good turntable, arm and cartridge make. The amount of information that is retrieved from the grooves is amazing.

In my in-expert opinion it all boils down to the fact that digital (CD) is either on or off whilst analouge (vinyl) has grey areas... The tip of the diamond vibrates while jumping between the bumps in the groove whereas the laser beam hits either an on or off...
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
In my in-expert opinion it all boils down to the fact that digital (CD) is either on or off whilst analouge (vinyl) has grey areas... The tip of the diamond vibrates while jumping between the bumps in the groove whereas the laser beam hits either an on or off...

Jan seriously go and listen to a quality turntable playing properly cared for vinyl and you will never again think that CD and quality are synonomous.
Jan seriously go and listen to a quality turntable playing properly cared for vinyl and you will never again think that CD and quality are synonomous.

i love my music,, however i just do not have the hearing to tell the diffrence between what is good and what is brillant,,,,,,to many years working in loud pubs and clubs and to much shooting!
Quote:Originally posted by Lance
i love my music,, however i just do not have the hearing to tell the diffrence between what is good and what is brillant,,,,,,to many years working in loud pubs and clubs and to much shooting!

Speak up Lance, I can't hear you! :p
Speak up Lance, I can't hear you! :p

that bit is selective,,,,,,lol