Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Is It...
Sorry, I know this is slightly off topic for this forum but just have to ask.

Why is it that even though you can get French, Spanish and Italian sun ripened tomatoes all over the Continent, the shops here in Ireland persist in selling those insipid Dutch greenhouse grown tomatoes?

I went out this weekend to try and get some good tomatoes to make my winter stash of ragu, sugos, and passatas with and could not find a single sun-ripened tomato anywhere - and that included the local market (they were selling Irish greenhouse tomatoes)!

Surely the summer hasn't been that bad?
Hi Bushbaby
Sounds like you are going to have to plant some tomatoes next year and ripen them yourself. I know how frustrationg it can be if you get the dutch "red water"!
Quote:Originally posted by Sproete
Hi Bushbaby
Sounds like you are going to have to plant some tomatoes next year and ripen them yourself. I know how frustrationg it can be if you get the dutch "red water"!

I tried that - too cold and too wet this summer for any fruit to do well (other than apples and blackberries that is).

Will have to have another go next year.
until then you will just have to do with Pomodoro out of the carton. To tell the truth, sometimes those chopped and pureed tomatoes out of the catonare really good. Somehow they get realy super ripe ones and the flavour is superb.

Good luck next year.