Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wildlife in Your Area
Question: What sort of interesting wildlife do you have in the areas you live/work in?

At home we have a wealth of bird life - the usual suspects in rooks, jackdaws, magpies, thrushes, blackbirds, robins and a host of smaller birds that I do not know. The birdsong is so loud in the early morning and evening that we just open the windows and enjoy it. Who needs a tv?

Along the canal there are ducks, swans, whatever lives underwater and rats, mice, and the usual array of bugs.

In the Phoenix Park where I work we have most of the above plus fallow deer, foxes, badgers (though I have never seen them), pheasants and grey herons.
Grey Squirrels and then we also have a hedgehog that is always trying to break into the rubbish bags and steal the chicken bones and the tuna cans and I blamed my cats!!!
I still love chocolate.
Quote:Originally posted by Surita
Grey Squirrels and then we also have a hedgehog that is always trying to break into the rubbish bags and steal the chicken bones and the tuna cans and I blamed my cats!!!
Lots of birds and the naugthy grey squirrel..........I find zillions of the conkers he planted and forgot about, meantime he digs up all the things I plant!!!

:noway:
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
Lots of birds and the naugthy grey squirrel..........I find zillions of the conkers he planted and forgot about, meantime he digs up all the things I plant!!!

:noway:

Cute - we have them at work and the break in to the rubbish bins but cannot get out because of the flaps, so we now have a squirrel liberation team that goes out in the mornings to release the critters that got trapped overnight.
I have a huge number of birds in my garden: sparrows, chaffinchs, about 6 jackdaws, blackbirds (one with an unusual white collar that makes it look like a minister), an old crow (who is sadly bullied by the jackdaws), magpies, blue & great tits, starlings, a song thrush who sings most beautifully, a robin & a couple of love-sick wood pigeons. At night I can hear owls, other night birds & foxes. I can also see sheep, cows & horses.

Last week I had the most amazing experience! I have double french doors in my lounge that look out into my garden & a bird feeder strategically placed, giving us full view of all visitors. The way the sun shines on the glass, we can see out but the birds can't see in. I was sitting having my midmorning cuppa when I saw a flurry of feathers. My immediate thought was that some cat had caught a bird. So I jumped up to shoo is away & saw that a sparrowhawk had caught a dove. It then sat in front of my french doors & ate. It must've been there for at least an hour before carrying the remains of the dove away with it.

On the canal a block away from my house, we have a pair of swans with 2 cynets & numerous ducks.
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<