• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a Knight by another name
there can only be one

1stKnight

Smile
TheDuck Wrote:there can only be one

1stKnight

Smile

Indeed, there can only be one...the very same one from V.

Howzit! Smile
[COLOR="Purple"]Hi there..... welcome back!

I was just wondering if you still write great stories.... can remember those great ones that was so entertaining!

Do write us one about your life Smile

:daisy:[/COLOR]
howzit and welcome Smile
Howzit "stranger" Wink

Welcome to the boards. Smile
Pronkertjie Wrote:[COLOR="Purple"]Hi there..... welcome back!

I was just wondering if you still write great stories.... can remember those great ones that was so entertaining!

Do write us one about your life Smile

:daisy:[/COLOR]

Hi, thank you. Smile

I haven't written for a very long time. I registered with African South and RSA-UK but rarely contribute, life is much busier these days for me.

Hmmm, as for a story of my life - that would take a long time. I'll try and give you a squashed up, shortened version leaving loads of bits out but something that'll give you the general idea...here we go:

My Life Such That It Has Been, Is And Hopefully Will Be…

Africa stirs my emotions; images, smells and sounds from my life in South Africa course through my veins as does a yearning to explore the rest of the vast Continent. It is a long term love affair stretching from the majesty of Kilimanjaro to the rugged beauty of the Drakensburg and beyond.

I wasn’t born there, I cannot lay claim to being a son of Africa in the literal sense but my twenty four wonderful years there have instilled a passion for the most alluring Continent of all.

I was born in Teeside, Middlesbrough, England on the 27th March, 1969. My arrival onto South Africa’s fair shores occurred 6 years later when my Parents made the decision to join my Uncle in his quest for a better lifestyle on a fairer Continent. My earliest memory involves my Uncle and his .357 magnum SAP issue revolver; in his ‘wisdom’ he imagined that a 6 year old boy would like to shoot a real gun :duh: and, under his wayward guidance, I proceeded to shoot the neighbours washing. Said neighbour was apparently most displeased and my uncle duly received a reprimand from his Captain. My Mom was not amused either…:mmm:

My first school was in Edenvale, Johannesburg - the Holy Rosary Convent – boys attended until Standard 1 at which time I bade my many girlfriends goodbye and moved on to a Bedfordview school, St Benedict’s Collage. A year later, my Dad relocated his thriving business to Durban and I attended Northland’s Primary in Durban North for a year before my Mom enrolled me at Marist Brother’s. Unfortunately, my Dad’s business dealings took a turn for the worse and we returned to Johannesburg and another school for me, Sandringham High; a mixed school that allowed me to resume my flirting with the most beautiful beings on Earth, human females, in earnest. :hug:

Only one year later and my Dad was back on his feet, fairing very prosperously and I was at Northlands High School in Durban North – a school I stayed with to my Matric. My chief interest at school was always sport and I represented my various schools at athletics, football and rugby. In my final year, cycling came to the fore and overtook my life and I became very devoted to it indeed; although, I would like to forget my first race which involved a rather spectacular crash in the final sprint that saw two rider’s use me as a ramp to the Heaven’s form behind! :bigcry: Happily, I went on to become Kings Park Champion, 2nd at Natal Champs and 11th at SA Champs.

The lowest point of my childhood and, indeed, my Life, was the passing away of my Mother when I was 17. A violent cocktail of Valium and alcohol fuelled a depression that led to her taking her most precious life; a scene that will, no doubt, haunt me until my own demise.
Brighter day’s lay ahead, however, and I discovered Architecture and made it my Career choice. But before that, I was a precocious little twit who thought that he would sommer pitch up at his Dad’s work and assume title of Senior Manager with all the benefits and salary attributed to such a role. My Dad was accommodating in so far as to suggest that if I had truly made my decision that I wanted to work from him immediately sooner that attend Uni or Tech, he would welcome me and offer me a job.
The memory remains vivid; I pitched up in jeans and a t-shirt and awaited his favourable instruction as to what - and whom – I would be Managing. He had other ideas. I was march down to Platform 3 of his then Concrete Product’s business and handed over to Mabaso, the burly Zulu driver of Truck 3 to be a part of his labour crew. For 6 months I toiled with my fellow labourer’s, delivering heavy blocks around the Durban area, ruining countless pairs of gloves. By chance, I met an Architect one day and signed up to become his apprentice.

I eventually found myself working for my Dad again but in a significantly greater capacity designing and building houses. But this wasn’t meant to last and I moved on, spurred in part by disagreements on the work front and my urge to want to be with a girl I had started dating who intended to complete her studies in London.

I returned to England in April, 1999 and, having failed to secure a lasting relationship with my girlfriend, found myself in East London in an amazingly decrepit bedsit shared with a chap from Iran, his Italian girlfriend and a chap from Argentina and his French girlfriend.
Bedsit life was far removed from that which I was used to but I was happy and even found a thriving South African Expat community in Voetsek where I spent many, many happy hours meeting wonderful people and it was there that I began my quest for my Princess, a woman to love for the rest of my days
I met some really interesting ladies as a result of my quest – some bizarre, some comical but mostly very pleasant and some very beautiful. No Princess, however.

My work-life progressed steadily here in the UK and I was reasonably content but yearned for a little more scope and made plans to join my sister in Texas, USA. It was a week after I returned from my second trip to the USA that I met Katrien and fell hopelessly in love with her. A Belgian national of Flemish origin, she enscapsulated all that I desired and it wasn’t long before we were sharing our every moment together. In 2005 I proposed and, thankfully, she accepted and we married in 2006.

2006 was a very busy year; in January Katrien and I bought a Townhouse together and in February we were married in Henley-on-Thames followed by an exquisite Honeymoon in the Masai Mara, Kenya and Zanzibar, Tanzania. Mid-year we both joined new companies and by the end of the year had entertained both our families several times!
2007 has been quieter thus far but we did move house once again to a fabulous home in Buckinghamshire that border’s a National Trust property and has a sufficiently large garden that has enticed us to add an adorable golden Labrador puppy called Nandi to our family.

Am I happy? You bet! Life is good, I have a beautiful wife, two lovely stepchildren; 10 yr old Jarl and 8yr old Sir (Danish Dad) a spacious, comfortable home and a rather decent car; ja, I am materialistic – a vice, I guess. Blush
Still, experience has shown me that what we have today may not be there tomorrow, we should embrace that which we have now and cherish our lives but be prepared to deal with misfortune with stoic fortitude for unforeseen rewards await at the other end.

As for good ‘ol Blightly, I remain unsure as to my future here; will my Family and I stay forever? We harbour European plans, perhaps even African ones…

Whilst I desire to visit North and East Africa; the magnificent edifice’s of Egypt and the great ancient wildlife hunting and migratory grounds of the Masai Mara and the Serengeti, my experience thus far is limited mainly to South Africa; perhaps the most beautiful country in the World, populated by the much-vaunted Rainbow Nation of peoples who proudly embrace the green and gold.

I stoically professed that I would probably not miss South Africa 8 years ago. Indeed, as the years went by I found no deep desire to return even for a visit. But then I met my Partner and found myself wanting to share the land that was my home for so long, the land that provided me with the best of foundations, and the land that gave me a sturdy education.

When we landed on South African soil on a visit in 2005, I was engulfed by a joyous, almost overbearing emotion – a true sense of being home; an emotion that took me quite by surprise but most welcome. In Durban, Katrien commented upon how I was the happiest she had ever seen me – I had an air of relaxation and pure unadulterated comfort with my environment that shattered any illusions I might have had that Africa was not in my blood.

Africa moves to a powerful rhythm, it lures me closer to its poignant and intoxicating drum beat; its rich culture and inviting hospitality. But unfortunately Africa harbours a troubled soul that, for now, pervades the course of absolute prosperity and peace for all. Still, the land itself is unaccountable for the perversions of humanity and the majority of its people strive for an attainable lifestyle that is second to none in my opinion. Africa as the cradle of life may engender and entwine a primitive need within me that I am unable to ignore.

Over the years I have inadvertently collected South African memorabilia; surrounding myself with memories from home while living in the land of my birth from music to ornaments – an indication that I never really left the land I grew up in behind. I would return tomorrow. But like so many other’s I have immovable obstacles that ensure I can’t – Life is too complicated now: my wife has young children and their Father is very much a part of their lives; moving from the UK before they reach a certain age is out of the question. So instead I am resigned to love Africa from afar and intend to visit more frequently. Perhaps a return is on the cards in the future but I have a feeling Mainland Europe is where I will settle eventually, with Africa remaining my muse and constant reason for tantalising visits.

Yeah, that’s about it so far...

Photo's here:

http://www.africansouth.net/forum/mkport...?cat=10203
mcamp999 Wrote:howzit and welcome Smile

mcamp999, Jangar, cheers - nice to see you. Smile
Wow 1stKnight..... thanks for taking the time to write. It is so obvious that the map of Africa is in your heart!

Congratulations with your marriage - you sound very happy and content indeed!!!

It is great to have a you around and I hope we will read more - me thinks you should start a blog on here! Smile

Thanks again for taking the time!!

:daisy:
Hello, Hello, 1stKnight! So nice to see you finally achieved your dream Smile

All of the best for the future Smile
dudette Wrote:Hello, Hello, 1stKnight! So nice to see you finally achieved your dream Smile

All of the best for the future Smile

Hi Dudette Smile

Thank you. I have come a long way from my 'no girlfriend, £50/wk bedsit, no money in the bank, future unknown' situation of 7 years ago. Indeed, this wasn't much improved 4 years ago although the bedsit was far nicer. A lot has happened in the last 3 years for which I am eternally thankful and appreciative. Hard work, getting out more and good fortune have all played a part. If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone 'cos I am not the most handsome chap on the street and quite doff really. :thumbs: