Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cats and plastic
Petunia

I agree with you with what you say, except my Vet told me to take my cat off the sachet food and put her onto Science Plan Oral Hygiene dry pellets (with constant fresh water available) because her teeth had gone really vrot and she wasn't even 3. The food seems to have fixed the tooth problem, but I am really worried in case she does develop kidney problems, which is what we were taught in SA about dry food, albeit before Science Plan.

She does seem very healthy and happy, although yes, she does appear to have put on a bit of weight, but not enough to worry about yet.
Modern dried food like the Science Diet, Iams and Eukanuba is a fully balanced diet and provides all the nutrients that cats require. They do, however, need plenty of fresh water to go along with that. Many cats enjoy the occasional "wet" meat treat for variety and this does them no harm. However, a dried food diet does help balance their ph levels for good urinary tract health and also avoids plaque build up, with associated problems.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Petunia
[B]Jangar

... That is why its very important if you are feeding your cat, dried food only, to have a bowl of water next to it. If they dont get enough moisture, they suffer from bladder problems.

I mainly feed my cats on tinned/sachet food with a sprinkling of dried food on top, the reason being the dried food is good for their teeth, helps get rid of the plaque.
Unquote

Tara that is why I stated the above in my previous msg.

Tara and London Girl - I have always given my cats tinned food with a topping of the dried food like Iams etc. plus I still have a bowl of water for them too. They have the most beautiful coats,
they are both short-haired, their coats are smooth, shiny, soft and silky and they are both 11 years old now and are full of
beans still and neither are overweight.
Petunia/Carry
oops, made a mistake there. when i said the cat only eats cat food, i meant, tin and dry (pellets).

he is still a big ****** none the less. Big Grin
I had to smile sterretjie..at your last msg...

Male cats are pre-disposed to being larger.... especially after they have been neutered..... Also some cats are bigger than others,
my 2 females are quite small, my friends cats , are huge....
especially the males,they make my 2 look like kittens still.
Our neighbours across the road had a fluffy ginger male cat,
he was enormous(weight wise) he was 17 years old, they had to put him on a special diet, but it made no difference, especially since he used to come and eat all my cats food too ....lol.....
He was a persian so hardly had any legs, his stomach almost reached the ground... I had visions of him getting stuck in my cats flap.... They had no idea why he had put on so much weight...
He was mainly fed dried food and occasionally wet food...
I am sure your cat will be fine and live to a ripe old age....
Just keep tags on his weight and seek dietary advise from the vet. Mine seem to thrive on a combination of both foods , just like you do with your cat.....
Petunia/Carry
my kitten sleeps in plastic bags. He loves the sound of the rustling it makes.

That and he has a thing for toilets. I have warned all men that come over to visit that they must make sure the kitten doesnt FOLLOW them into the bathroom, as soon as the deed is being done... Rizla jumps up onto the toilet and paws at the "water stream".... not the most pleasant experience.

I have a character of a cat dont i? lol
"Riches of the heart cannot be stolen"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Domestic Cats Bushbaby 8 5,105 29-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Last Post: sunny
  Cats & Dogs. Curio 0 2,960 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: