Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samp3
I do tend to agree with Spam to a certain degree that some of the music on their is cr$p but it has to be understood that Afrikaans music has been so repressed for years that it has to develop and bloom now. The Afrikaans community, for years considered Bles Bridges to be the epitome of musical genius and any more progressive music was frowned upon. It took people like Koos Kombuis and Johannes Kerkorrel to turn the Afrikaans music establishment on its head. Some of the lyrics are dreadful and some of them are genuinely funny but at the end of the day Afrikaans music is going through a revolution and is delivering some awesome talent - go listen to Karen Zoid, Valiant Swart, Koos Kombuis or Springcan for evidence of this. Purile lyrics were a part of the punk revolution and Afrikaans music is going through the same process.
I agree with Picanin...

There are some very good afrikaans artists out there, Zaren Zoid is one, and Piet Botha is another...

Rediscovering the Afrikaans as a sung language is indeed very cool, and albeit that some do not manage to pull this off in style, others do, and should be justly recognised for their achievements.
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
Quote:Originally posted by spam
Naw come on...have you listened to the one about the polisiekar. Music is pretty good but the lyrics...........you would have to be smoking some serious s&*t to appreciate that.

Spam what is wrong with Fokof polisiekar? Granted it isnt going to make the world sit up and notice Afrikaans music but it is Afrikaans punk. In much the smae vein as the original punks, the music is rough and intended to shock. Nothing wrong with it and in my opinion the name of the song and band are original and humorous. The sort of thing that many a drunk would say as the cops pulled him off the road.
Quote:Originally posted by Ameniatha
I agree with Picanin...

There are some very good afrikaans artists out there, Zaren Zoid is one, and Piet Botha is another...

Rediscovering the Afrikaans as a sung language is indeed very cool, and albeit that some do not manage to pull this off in style, others do, and should be justly recognised for their achievements.

Amen there is no other rock chick in SA that comes close to Karen Zoid. She rocks! The only women in SA that comes anywhere close to Karen Zoid is Jo Day. However Karen is THE QUEEN of rock in SA today. Piet Botha is another one of my favourites as is Valiant Swart and (as most people know) Koos Kombuis. Afrikaans music has life and originality that has been lacking in most of the SA English music to date.
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Me thinks old age is creeping in as the music does nothing for me ( I think I'd rather listen to C & W, and that's saying a lot !!!!) as I outgrew Punk in the 70's... As for the supposed lyrics... Sad I can appeciate Marianne Faithfull's "Broken English" for the emotions but the lyrics in this song makes me think that the swear words are just there for it to get noticed....

dare I say VIVA ABBA ? :p

I know a few that would echo your ABBA statement. I agree that the swearing in some of these songs is just to grab attention. The particular track I was referring to has good music, the vocals can hardly be called singing but more of a hoarse shouting of some foul mouthed lyrics. Picanin describes it as Afrikaans punk....well each to their own I guess, but it does absolutely nothing for me.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
I have just been going through the site and listening to some of the music and I must say we really, really do have some talented artists.

One of the nicest songs I have heard in a long time Say by Tim Wells Band ........ , and another one Path You Take also by Tim Wells Band