South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Usb 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running out of ideas, so I'll try here, u never know!
Had my PC a year. It has 6 USB 2.0 ports.
I have had a webcam, printer and Smart reader plugged in and working, no problem.
All of the above are USB 1.0
However, the smartreader is so much faster than on my old PC that I assume it is making use of USB 2.0 speeds.
Here is the problem.
I bought a 128MB Flash Drive. The PC bleeps when I stick it in , then bleeps again and it is gone. The drive does not exist and I cannot access it.
I have been on a USB support site, removed all my USB drivers, removed all the USB devices (in the correct order!) within Device Manager (in safe mode).
After rebooting it finds and installs the USB ports, but still makes no mention of USB 2.0 and the Flash Drive still does not work (it works on other PC's) (I have similar problems with a USB 2.0 MP3 player). My IRQ listing contains the following
IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
with no mention of USB 2.0
I am stumped
:-)

party boy

ok well I had this same problem a while ago, ill guess you are using Windows XP? You need to update the service pack to support USB2. The drivers on their own will not install without the service pack, have a try Smile hope this can help.
cheers, partyboy

I have already installed SP2 before I went through the above process, if this is what you mean....?
Well blow me!
I just went on HP support website and was about to follow there suggestion for USB problems...
I stuck the stick in and hey presto - it's working....
Musta been something I did...
Until next time

Salagashli (that just popped into my head - anyone remember where that comes from - I think it was at the end of a radio program)

Big Grin