South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Have You Played With A Penguin Today? AKA The Linux Help Thread!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

picanin

Anyone need help or advice on installing, configuring or using Linux? Post away!

party boy

I got my 8 year old ISA sound card working in Linux, now I feel like a man Smile

Good thread :thumbs:

picanin

party boy Wrote:I got my 8 year old ISA sound card working in Linux, now I feel like a man Smile

Good thread :thumbs:

Have a dop - it'll add to the hairs on your chest! :crylol:
Dear Uncle Bulgaria

I have for a long time now watched while others extolled the virtues of Linux, and have heard of its stability, and goodness. I would like to know how, if one already has a M$ system could one go about changing one's system? How different would it be? Is it possible to get a screenshot, perhaps of the desktop one might be looking at?
How would the configuration of one's hardware change? (for example if I have 1GB space/whatever ont he harddrive, does this change with pingu?
Any advice would be most appreciated Smile
Many thanks
Winnie the Pooh
(A Bear of Very Little Brain)
Smile

picanin

Dearest Little Bear!

Here indeed are some screenshots of what the desktop space CAN look like but again due to Linux being amazingly customisable you will rarely find two experienced Linux users with matching desktops!

Click Here Little Bear

Now Little Bear if you were concentrating whilst Goldielocks was dipping her grubby little digits into your porridge you will remember that I am full of praise for the work that our little frozen beaked friend Tux has been doing. Linux is certainly coming of age for home useage. However, I would recommend using a dual boot system for a Windows user to be able to have access to the software of the Evil Empire whilst they transfer allegiance to the Noble Knight Sir Tux. This also holds true so that they can still dig around on the internet for different ways to fry fish when their devices like printers and scanner wont do what they were made to do. So whilst 1gig wouldnt be enough space - Sir Tux brings loads of extra software, office suites, games, multimedia software etc etc - you would indeed be able to install it on about five gigs of free space and still have a penguin of a time!

I hope that this was of assistance to you Little Bear!

Peace and Baked Beans.

Uncle Bulgaria!

party boy

dudette, keep windows for things like games etc, its probably safer for the first time etc.

you can put the linux cd into the drive in windows, it will show a menu to install linux, it will restart your computer and partion your hard drive for you, you can choose how much space each OS gets. Then each time your start your machine it will ask you which one to boot.

Will load a screenshot of my linux desktop on monday Smile

party boy

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mtv2africa/my_photos

thats my linux desktop, havent really customized it yet, but it still looks good Smile
picanin Wrote:Dearest Little Bear!

Here indeed are some screenshots of what the desktop space CAN look like but again due to Linux being amazingly customisable you will rarely find two experienced Linux users with matching desktops!
I hope that this was of assistance to you Little Bear!

Peace and Baked Beans.

Uncle Bulgaria!

Dear Uncle Bulgaria

Many thanks for your kind answer, and for warning me about that naughty Goldie and her tricks! Kids just aren't brought up right these days Rolleyes

Now for Sir Tux ... How much available disk space does one need to have in order to run it? And is it possible to run M$ /Evil Empire concurrently with Sir Tux? I see from Party Boy's wise words that you can, but what about the DOS system, isn't that a spawn of the Evil Empire?
And what about the threat of virus attack? Would Norton's antivirus work with it?

Many thank once again
WTP
(ABOLB)
Smile
party boy Wrote:dudette, keep windows for things like games etc, its probably safer for the first time etc.

you can put the linux cd into the drive in windows, it will show a menu to install linux, it will restart your computer and partion your hard drive for you, you can choose how much space each OS gets. Then each time your start your machine it will ask you which one to boot.

Will load a screenshot of my linux desktop on monday Smile
Thank you for your answer, and for the screenshot of your computer ... it looks quite user-friendly. Smile
So, do you have to buy the CD? I thought you could download it off the Net for free?

party boy

I got mine from Jangar, I will try send u a copy if u want?
Pages: 1 2 3