South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Visually impaired student receives new Tablet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
An elated Thabang Manamela from the University of Pretoria on Monday received a new Tablet from Social Development Deputy Minister Hendrietta Bogopane-Zulu.

Manamela, who is visually impaired, won the gadget with Jaws software during the National Disability Awards 2014 held in Cape Town, last year.

The National Disability Awards is an initiative by Insurance Sector Education and Training Authority (INSETA) to predominantly focus on recognizing disability service delivery excellence in the insurance industry by issuing winners with certificates of recognition, trophies and prizes.

Manamela scooped the award in the National Young Leader Disability category. He was recognised for ensuring that his university’s Disability Unit was rendering a quality service to students with disabilities.

INSETA gave him a Tablet with Jaws software and over R100 000 bursary. Courtesy of MTN Foundation, Manamela will also receive free data to access internet for the next 24 months.

Speaking during a handing over ceremony held on Monday at the University of Pretoria, Deputy Minister Bogopane-Zulu said the Tablet introduces an element of independence for Manamela.

“It’s entirely up to you, if you perform, stay on top and give it your best, you are guaranteed that when your results reaches somebody’s desk at INSETA, they will say that this is a student that we will continue with. It’s a short term sacrifice of many things,” Deputy Minister told Manamela.

Manamela promised to live up to the expectations. “Usually when I do something, I do my best or don’t do it at all. I’m very honoured to receive this, it will help a lot in my studies,” said 22-year-old from Tembisa.

Professor Themba Mosia, Vice Principal at the University of Pretoria, expressed his appreciation to the department’s gesture to support Thabang.

Professor Mosia encouraged Manamela to stay focussed on his studies and make a difference to the country. – SAnews.gov.za