South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Brain Teasers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good luck and looking forward to seeing you back in the New Year Smile
dudette Wrote:Good luck and looking forward to seeing you back in the New Year Smile

Thanx Dudette.

Wish I could say I was recharging my batteries but alas... :p I'm looking forward to being back so that I can relax :haha:
Have you had this one before:
3 chaps stay in a hotel, and settle up with the bell-boy at £10 each.
The bill was £25, and the bell-boy couldn't be bothered working out the change, so he gives them each £1 change, pocketing the remaining £2.

So the guests paid £9 each and the bell-boy has £2, total £29
So where is the missing £1?
Ade Wrote:Have you had this one before:
3 chaps stay in a hotel, and settle up with the bell-boy at £10 each.
The bill was £25, and the bell-boy couldn't be bothered working out the change, so he gives them each £1 change, pocketing the remaining £2.

So the guests paid £9 each and the bell-boy has £2, total £29
So where is the missing £1?

This is a nice one. Wink
Each guest paid £9 because they gave £30 and they were given back £3. The manager got £25 and the difference ( £2) has the bellboy. So it is nonsense to add the £2 to the £27, since the bellboy kept the £2.
:cheeky:
Kiro Wrote:This is a nice one. Wink
Each guest paid £9 because they gave £30 and they were given back £3. The manager got £25 and the difference ( £2) has the bellboy. So it is nonsense to add the £2 to the £27, since the bellboy kept the £2.
:cheeky:

I agree, it's the mixing of sums / equations Big Grin

How about this one:

A farmer dies leaving 17 cows to his sons. The eldest is to recieve one-half of the cows, the middle one one-third and the youngest one one-ninth. How did they manage to solve this, without harming any cows ?
The answer must be obfuscated(!) by the fact that 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/9 does not = 1...

Therfore you could lend them a cow, distribute as per required, then take your cow back Smile
Jangar Wrote:I agree, it's the mixing of sums / equations Big Grin

How about this one:

A farmer dies leaving 17 cows to his sons. The eldest is to recieve one-half of the cows, the middle one one-third and the youngest one one-ninth. How did they manage to solve this, without harming any cows ?

One of the cows was pregnant (or whatever it's called in cows). So, they waited till it calved and then shared them 9, 6 and 3.
Ade Wrote:The answer must be obfuscated(!) by the fact that 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/9 does not = 1...

Therfore you could lend them a cow, distribute as per required, then take your cow back Smile

:thumbs:

Obfuswatsegoed :confused:
Jangar Wrote::thumbs:
Obfuswatsegoed :confused:
obfuscate \OB-fuh-skayt\, transitive verb:
1. To darken or render indistinct or dim.
2. To make obscure or difficult to understand or make sense of.
3. To confuse or bewilder.

Obfuscate comes from Late Latin obfuscatus, past participle of obfuscare, "to darken," from Latin ob- + fuscare, "to darken," from fuscus, "dark." The noun form is obfuscation.

Big Grin

In reply to rlsuth, 3/18 is not 1/9 but 1/6...
You have to add 1, distribute accordingly (2 to the youngest) then take 1 away
Ade Wrote:obfuscate \OB-fuh-skayt\, transitive verb:
1. To darken or render indistinct or dim.
2. To make obscure or difficult to understand or make sense of.
3. To confuse or bewilder.

Obfuscate comes from Late Latin obfuscatus, past participle of obfuscare, "to darken," from Latin ob- + fuscare, "to darken," from fuscus, "dark." The noun form is obfuscation.

Big Grin

In reply to rlsuth, 3/18 is not 1/9 but 1/6...
You have to add 1, distribute accordingly (2 to the youngest) then take 1 away

Thanx, and here I was thinking that you were swearing at me Wink :p