South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Brain Teasers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ade Wrote:you got nowt to do on this friday night either Big Grin

Pans
Naps

Nope, Wife is watching a movie on TV that I don't feel like watching Smile

:thumbs:

Rachel had to buy school supplies for the fall term. At the first store, she bought her notebooks for half of what she had. At the second stop, she spent one-half of what she had plus $5 on computer supplies. At the third stop, she spent one-half of what was left plus $1. She had $5 left.

How much did she start with?
It is late, so I've probably got this wrong, but $5?
She started with $68
I don't usually join this thread and I'm no mathematician but here goes:

Total money = 108
1st store = 54
2nd store = 27 + 5 = 32
3rd Store = 16 + 1 = 17

Total spent in stores = 103
108 – 103 = 5 remaining.
John01 Wrote:I don't usually join this thread and I'm no mathematician but here goes:

Total money = 108
1st store = 54
2nd store = 27 + 5 = 32
3rd Store = 16 + 1 = 17

Total spent in stores = 103
108 – 103 = 5 remaining.

I think you've made a mistake John. At the second store, she spent $32, leaving her with $22. This would make her third store expenses = $11 + 1 = $12 leaving her with $10.
rlsuth Wrote:She started with $68

Nice one RL Big Grin

ANSWER: $68 ($68 ÷ 2 = $34, leaving $34; $34 ÷ 2 = $17 + $5 = $22, leaving $12; $12 ÷ 2 = $6 + $1 = $7, leaving $5)

The names of three countries are interlettered below. Can you find them?

T T A H U U A R S I K T L
E R A A Y L N I D A

(050523)
Jangar Wrote::thumbs:

Nice one RL Big Grin

ANSWER: $68 ($68 ÷ 2 = $34, leaving $34; $34 ÷ 2 = $17 + $5 = $22, leaving $12; $12 ÷ 2 = $6 + $1 = $7, leaving $5)

The names of three countries are interlettered below. Can you find them?

T T A H U U A R S I K T L
E R A A Y L N I D A

(050523)

Thailand

Turkey

Australia
rlsuth Wrote:I think you've made a mistake John. At the second store, she spent $32, leaving her with $22. This would make her third store expenses = $11 + 1 = $12 leaving her with $10.

risuth, I'm going to blame it on my calculator.
At least I would get marks for methodology Smile

Well done.
dudette Wrote:Thailand

Turkey

Australia

LOL John01 Smile

Here's a similar one:

Jerry had to make some bank deposits for himself and his grandchildren. At the first bank, he deposited half of what he had plus $20. At the second bank, he deposited half of what was left plus $10. At the next one, he deposited half of what was left plus $5, and at the last stop he banked half of what was left plus $3. Jerry then had a cup of coffee with the $2 he had left.

How much did he start with?
£200????? Blush