South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Brain Teasers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
is he related to Albert
TheDuck Wrote:is he related to Albert

:haha: Tom Swifty ?
TOM SWIFTY

First unscramble the letters in each word below, then unscramble the word order to create a Tom Swifty sentence.

DLRAIEY TMO DSIA I OWT
TOSAUHND NWO NWO KBOOS

Readily Tom said I two thousand own own books.....

Tom said I already own two thousand books ????

Any other ideas ???
Jangar Wrote:Readily Tom said I two thousand own own books.....

Tom said I already own two thousand books ????

Close, but no cigar. It should read: I own two thousand books now, said Tom readily.
rlsuth Wrote:Close, but no cigar. It should read: I own two thousand books now, said Tom readily.

:thumbs:

Well done RL Smile

Sally likes licorice jelly beans, but not vanilla or lemon. She gets a package of 15 jelly beans, 5 of each flavor. How many jelly beans does she have to remove before she can guarantee getting a licorice?
10? Smile
This is a badly worded question. The answer is 11 as you have to remove the ten "other" flavours to be sure that the 11th one removed is the one you want. However, there are three ways of answering. The 1st is the one I gave, where you are assured that the 11th one removed is licorice. However, if you asnwered 10, you're also right, as it asked how many had to be removed "before" you were assured. That means that you have to remove 10 and then you will be assured that the next one will be a licorice. However, a third way of interpreting the question gives no possible answer as they are asking how many you must remove before you are certain that the next one will be licorice. You can never be certain that the next one will be licorice unless, by luck, you remove 14 and only 4 of those are licorice.

Does that all make sense?
rlsuth Wrote:This is a badly worded question. The answer is 11 as you have to remove the ten "other" flavours to be sure that the 11th one removed is the one you want. However, there are three ways of answering. The 1st is the one I gave, where you are assured that the 11th one removed is licorice. However, if you asnwered 10, you're also right, as it asked how many had to be removed "before" you were assured. That means that you have to remove 10 and then you will be assured that the next one will be a licorice. However, a third way of interpreting the question gives no possible answer as they are asking how many you must remove before you are certain that the next one will be licorice. You can never be certain that the next one will be licorice unless, by luck, you remove 14 and only 4 of those are licorice.

Does that all make sense?

Not your last interpretation... The answer given and the one I guessed was 11 Smile I was trying to think why the answer would be as easy as 10...

How can you be sure before you have removed it ? :p

How many common English words can you make from the letters below, using all six letters once in each word?

A C E N S T
Surely there is more than one ?

The only one I can 'see' is STANCE Sad
I can see 'ascent' ... probably more though ... Smile