South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Richard and Judy's new book list for 2005!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I enjoyed a few of last years books and now Richard and Judy have complied a new list of books they are going to review and read. Here is the list:

THE SHADOW OF THE WIND - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

This wonderful page-turning literary detective story is set in the heart of the old city of Barcelona in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War.
At 10 years old, Daniel Sempere is taken to the ‘Cemetery of Forgotten Books’, a library of obscure and forgotten titles that have long gone out of print. It is here that Daniel is allowed to choose one book to keep. The book, La Sombra del Viento (The Shadow of the Wind), initially seems a charming find yet in later years becomes a devilish curse.
The Shadow of the Wind is an exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead.

THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE - Audrey Niffenegger

The Time TravelerÂ’s Wife is an extraordinary, magical first novel. It is not a science fiction novel, but the ultimate love story.
As Audrey herself says, ‘It’s not about time travel. It’s about love and separation and how time determines so much about our lives’. It is the story of Clare and Henry. They’ve known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty.
Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself misplaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity in his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.
This story is intensely moving and entirely unforgettable.

THE AMERICAN BOY - Andrew Taylor

Interweaving real and fictional elements, The American Boy is a major new literary historical crime novel. Set in England 1819: Thomas Shield, a new master at a school just outside London, is tutor to a young American boy and the boy's sensitive best friend, Charles Frant. Drawn to Frant's beautiful, unhappy mother, Thomas becomes caught up in her family's twisted intrigues.
Then a brutal crime is committed, with consequences that threaten to destroy Thomas and all that he has come to hold dear. Despite his efforts, Shield is caught up in a deadly tangle of sex, money, murder and lies – a tangle that grips him tighter even as he tries to escape from it.

And what of the strange American child, at the heart of these macabre events – what is the secret of the boy named Edgar Allen Poe?

THE PROMISE OF HAPPINESS - Justin Cartwright

What should you do if the world has turned against you? When Father Anselm is asked this question by an old man at Larkwood Priory, his response, to claim sanctuary, is to have greater resonance than he could ever have imagined. For that evening the old man returns, demanding the protection of the church.
His name is Eduard Schwermann and he is wanted by the police as a suspected war criminal. With her life running out, Agnes Aubret feels it is time to unburden to her granddaughter Lucy the secrets she has been carrying for so long.

Fifty years earlier, Agnes had been living in Occupied Paris, a member of a small group risking their lives to smuggle Jewish children to safety – until they were exposed by a young SS Officer: Eduard Schwermann.

As Anselm attempts to uncover Schwermann's past, and as Lucy's search into her grandmother's history continues, their investigations dovetail to reveal a remarkable story
FEEL: ROBBIE WILLIAMS - Chris Heath

When Chris HeathÂ’s book with Robbie Williams was first published in September 2004 it became an instantaneous bestseller. So far, so predictable...
However its honesty, humour and intelligence took the literary critics by surprise. The review in the Saturday Telegraph read, ‘Feel is far too good to be confined to Robbie Williams fans. It is one of the great documentaries of our time’. In a world of deceptive images and pampered celebrity Feel has a unique wit and energy, and a shockingly honest edge. It is a groundbreaking book.

Chris HeathÂ’s writing is evocative, compulsive and extremely funny. His book is one of the very few to ever explore eloquently the nature of fame, ambition and talent. It has been praised as the most extraordinary book ever to be written on the business of celebrity, but at heart it is a beautifully constructed, very surreal tale of an ordinary young man thrust into a most peculiar world.

THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB - Karen Joy Fowler

Six people, five women and a man, meet once a month in California's Central Valley to discuss Jane Austen's novels. They are ordinary people, but each of them is wounded in different ways and are mixed up about their lives and relationships.
Over the six months they meet, marriages are tested, affairs begin, and unsuitable arrangements become suitable. Under the guiding eye of Jane Austen a couple of them even fall in love.

CLOUD ATLAS - David Mitchell

In Cloud Atlas David Mitchell combines the stories of six individuals to create a masterful whole, which is both thought provoking and incredibly exhilarating.
The morality and ambitions of a reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan’s California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified ‘dinery server’ on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation, echo and impact on each others stories down the corridor of history and point to a terrifying vision of the world’s future which challenges our ability to shape not only our destiny but those that will come after us.

THE SIXTH LAMENTATION - William Brodrick
What should you do if the world has turned against you? When Father Anselm is asked this question by an old man at Larkwood Priory, his response, to claim sanctuary, is to have greater resonance than he could ever have imagined. For that evening the old man returns, demanding the protection of the church.
His name is Eduard Schwermann and he is wanted by the police as a suspected war criminal. With her life running out, Agnes Aubret feels it is time to unburden to her granddaughter Lucy the secrets she has been carrying for so long.

Fifty years earlier, Agnes had been living in Occupied Paris, a member of a small group risking their lives to smuggle Jewish children to safety – until they were exposed by a young SS Officer: Eduard Schwermann.

As Anselm attempts to uncover Schwermann's past, and as Lucy's search into her grandmother's history continues, their investigations dovetail to reveal a remarkable story.
MY SISTER'S KEEPER - Jodi Picoult

Anna Fitzgerald is thirteen years old. From the moment she was born, she knew she was special. Because Anna is a miracle of modern science – she was genetically created to save the life of her sister, Kate.
Kate has acute promyelocytic leukaemia. Anna is her allogenic donor – a perfect sibling match. Kate has spent much of her life in and out of hospital. And Anna, who is perfectly healthy, has spent most of her life in hospital with her.

Now Anna has had enough. So sheÂ’s found a lawyer from the newspaper and sheÂ’s going to persuade him to take on her case. SheÂ’s going to sue her parents for the right to her own body.

Gripping, thought-provoking, heart-breaking, My SisterÂ’s Keeper is a novel absolutely of our times.

PERDITA: THE LIFE OF MARY ROBINSON - Paula Byrne

Sex, fame and scandal in the theatrical, literary and social circles of late-eighteenth century England. One of the most flamboyant women of the late-eighteenth century, Mary Robinson's life was marked by reversals of fortune. After being raised by a middle-class father, Mary was married, at age fourteen, to Thomas Robinson. His dissipated lifestyle landed the couple and their baby in debtors' prison, where Mary wrote her first book of poetry and met lifelong friend Georgiana, the Duchess of Devonshire.
On her release, Mary quickly became one of the most popular actresses of the day, famously playing Perdita in The Winter's Tale for a rapt audience that included the Prince of Wales, who fell madly in love with her. She later used his copious love letters for blackmail.

This authoritative and engaging book presents a fascinating portrait of a woman who was variously darling of the London stage, a poet whose work was admired by Coleridge and a mistress to the most powerful men in England and yet whose fortunes were nevertheless precarious, always on the brink of being squandered through recklessness, excess and passion.

There is something for EVERYONE in this list. I am going to try and read a few, I hope you will find something you are interested in... :read:
thanks - some of these sound great !

Icecub

Thanks Nikkinaz.. :music:

I have compiled a list as well but not anybody's list for 2005... :read:

Will put it up later....

The above list is rather a serious tone of books - do you not think??? :read:
Icecub Wrote:Thanks Nikkinaz.. :music:

I have compiled a list as well but not anybody's list for 2005... :read:

Will put it up later....

The above list is rather a serious tone of books - do you not think??? :read:

Hi Icecub - yeah, this is a serious set of books, I was just drawing people's attention to them as Richard and Judy last year recommended some excellent books. I myself, am only interesting in 3 of them. I was hoping that people would be interested doing the book a month, that is why I put 3 suggestions in the 'Why so quiet thread?" perhaps I should start it in a separate one. I shall try again.
Right. I just bought The Time Traveler's Wife this morning. Will let you all know how it is... :thumbs:

I am currently busy with 'Goodbye Jimmy Choo' by Annie Sanders.....Also bought the latest James Patterson - 'Honeymoon', and the latest Freya North - 'Love Rules'...

Lots of lovely reading to do!!
Pampered Wrote:Right. I just bought The Time Traveler's Wife this morning. Will let you all know how it is... :thumbs:

I am currently busy with 'Goodbye Jimmy Choo' by Annie Sanders.....Also bought the latest James Patterson - 'Honeymoon', and the latest Freya North - 'Love Rules'...

Lots of lovely reading to do!!

What is Freya North like ? I have not read any of her books. The Time Travelers Wife looks good, also got a copy about 1 week ago. Just finishing a Patricia Cornwell first, then will move onto one of the millions I took out the library ! :read: Blush :read:

p.s. When I saw the new James Patterson - thought of you ! :p
nikkinaz Wrote:What is Freya North like ? I have not read any of her books. The Time Travelers Wife looks good, also got a copy about 1 week ago. Just finishing a Patricia Cornwell first, then will move onto one of the millions I took out the library ! :read: Blush :read:

p.s. When I saw the new James Patterson - thought of you ! :p

I know - you still told me about the new one - and there was a link to pre-order the next one which has not been printed yet.... lol You are a sweetie!! :hug:

I have only got one other Freya North book - 'Pip' and it is a lovely, lovely book! I absolutely adore chick-lit, and she does it really well, it seems! lol :thumbs: