South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: High Quality RCA Cables
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

picanin

I have just decided to add a subwoofer to my hifi system. My local hifi emporium had a sale on and I came home with a lovely 10inch active sub. I currently have Talking Heads Psycho Killer kicking me in the chest thanks to said sub - I really should have invested in this ages ago! However I ahve a problem and hopefully someone here can help me!

In order to connect the sub up I have it currently wired in thru the tape outs on my Marantz amp. This is less than perfect as I cannot control the level of the sub from the amp and instead have to adjust the level on the sub itself. I can wire the sub in between the pre output and power amp input on my amp and it will then be controllable via the amps volume pot. However to do so I need to use an RCA-RCA Y cable. I could easily go and buy a cheapie from Maplins for £1.50 - and that is about all I can find. However if do that it really makes all of my other far better quality cables further down the chain a waste of time. I cannot find a decent quality Y cable anywhere. So my question is...........

Can anyone tell me where I can either buy a decent quality Y cable or does anyone know of an electronics place that can make one up for me?
What about RS components ? they often have high quality stuff, not sure if they sell to the general public though... Another option would be to make one yourself if you can get the individual components...

Have you tried to google the cable specs ?

picanin

Ahhhh Jan and therein lies the rub! I know what spec the cable should be and it is easy enough to get hold of.... however I cant solder to save my life! Wanna fly over? :p
picanin Wrote:Ahhhh Jan and therein lies the rub! I know what spec the cable should be and it is easy enough to get hold of.... however I cant solder to save my life! Wanna fly over? :p

That could be arranged.... I'll be in SW England at the end of April if you can wait that long....

Do you have a decent soldering iron or can you get hold of one ? (Preferably a Weller)