South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Name the artist....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Originally posted by seasider
Yes this is my new one, not that hard.

At the threat of being moved to the adult section or banned for life....

hard doesn't = better ? :p :cheeky: :jester:
G says Deep Durple ?
Again, I check this "thread" whilst I can (as you may well know have been having pc problems lately).
AND......Again, unfortunately can't "name the artist" to the latest.
:wall: :mad:
Oh well, at least I keep on trying.
Smile
Have a great weekend all.
Boney M.
Quote:Originally posted by Gaff
no

Die Flippers...a German group come to mind...as does Boney M. However I did find this of interest:
Authorship of Malaika is disputed. A Kenyan named Fadhili William recorded it a couple of times in the late 50s and early 60s. He says he wrote it and he is generally recognized as the owner. Miriam Makeba made it famous with her recording of it in 1964(?). Angelique Kidjo copied Makeba's version sound for sound as best she could but between the two of them, they really mangled the words in Swahili. You can hear Makeba singing the song to her husband Stokely Carmichael and Angelique put all that stuff in her song not knowing what she was saying. It appears the song was written in the 40s by a Tanzanian but two different people are credited. So no one really knows (except for Fadhili and the Tanzanians).

Malaika was transcribed in Joan Maw's Twende! A Practical Swahili Course and also in Magdalena Hauner's Nyimbo za Kiswahili. The early Fadhili William recording (1959) has only two verses and so do these two transcriptions. However, Mariam Makeba's recording has a third verse (the Pesa... verse) and a later record by Fadhili also has the Pesa verse. It is likely that Fadhili did not write the original two verses but may have authored the "pesa" verse. It appears from Kwame Bandele's internet posting that Grant Charo gets credit for the song in the Hauner book. Other East Africans claiming to have written the song are Lucas Tututu from Mombasa and Adam Salim from Tanzania. Researcher Flemming Harrev says that Salim claims to have written the song while living in Nairobi in 1945-46. He recorded the song for Columbia Records in 1950. Fadhili is now generally recognized as the composer for royalty purposes.

http://www.yale.edu/swahili/songs/malaika.htm
So, where are we right now in this thread?
Whats the latest that we have to guess?
I am going to have to go with a cover off an album called Logoza by Angelique Kidjo
Lee Hayes?
Fundi Konde or Helmut Lotti or Lorraine Klaasen
Quote:Originally posted by Gaff
no

mmmmm....Gaff????? Big Grin