South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Name the artist....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I Knew I would find it.

It is actually called the Ballad of the Northern Suburbs.

For a CD version of this Gallo released a CD (CDRED 608) in 1997. The song in question is actually known as the Ballad of the Northern Suburbs and I believe it may also have been known as "The Northern Side of Town" If it is South African then Rock digest will have it somewhere, you just have to search meticulously but you will find it in the end. http://www.sarockdigest.com/archives/issue_84.html

"The Ballad of the Northern Suburbs" featuring Valerie Miller on vocals and expounds on what the Northen Suburb girls long for ("Champagne, caviar, polo and jaguar..."), but Pa from Rosettenville still wears the pants.

The original was also released by Gallo on 7" Gall8590 or Gallotone PD7-8590 with "The lift girls lament" as the B side. Quite a few of these are available on the internet for sale...
Brilliant work Spam Smile

Sorry I didn't have the correct title Sad (we need a gun smilie so I can point it at a certain someone... :jester: )

The S.A. Rock Digest are a god-send Smile

Didn't Pip Freedman do the original of "The Lift Girls Lament" ?
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Brilliant work Spam Smile

Sorry I didn't have the correct title Sad (we need a gun smilie so I can point it at a certain someone... :jester: )

The S.A. Rock Digest are a god-send Smile

Didn't Pip Freedman do the original of "The Lift Girls Lament" ?

I don't know and after that effort I am not going to start looking now. I have just discovered that the CD in question has a track called the Northern Side of Town so they are obviously not the same. I plan to bulk order some CD's from SA and will definitely add this to the list. You wouldn't have any Julian Laxton on CD would you?
Quote:Originally posted by spam
I don't know and after that effort I am not going to start looking now. I have just discovered that the CD in question has a track called the Northern Side of Town so they are obviously not the same. I plan to bulk order some CD's from SA and will definitely add this to the list. You wouldn't have any Julian Laxton on CD would you?

Sorry no, Julian was just before my time Sad

Tara

Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Sorry no, Julian was just before my time Sad

Yet again, Julian Laxton was an artist who I knew well in South Africa. I have CD's and vinyl's - signed ones! Big Grin

have a look here http://www.samp3.com/ look under samplers, I found blue water by Julian Laxton there. May be a few more.

Also found this site where tracks can be uploaded to you.

http://www.at.artslink.co.za/~julian_lax...laxton.htm
I Knew I would find it.

It is actually called the Ballad of the Northern Suburbs.

For a CD version of this Gallo released a CD (CDRED 608) in 1997. The song in question is actually known as the Ballad of the Northern Suburbs and I believe it may also have been known as "The Northern Side of Town" If it is South African then Rock digest will have it somewhere, you just have to search meticulously but you will find it in the end. http://www.sarockdigest.com/archives/issue_84.html

"The Ballad of the Northern Suburbs" featuring Valerie Miller on vocals and expounds on what the Northen Suburb girls long for ("Champagne, caviar, polo and jaguar..."), but Pa from Rosettenville still wears the pants.

The original was also released by Gallo on 7" Gall8590 or Gallotone PD7-8590 with "The lift girls lament" as the B side. Quite a few of these are available on the internet for sale...

i`m from the northan side of town,i live a life of luxuary and ease,,,,,,,,,,,is not the same song as the ballad of the nothern suburbs! i`m from the northen side of town does not have any female vocals! however i must admit i always thort the ballad of the northen suburbs and i`m from the northen side of town were the same song! o well jan please relable that song i gave you for safe keeping then please!
!
What's the latest "name the artist"?

Tara

Quote:Originally posted by curio
What's the latest "name the artist"?

I think we await Lance curio, he had the last correct answer.

Let's hope his question is kinder this time Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
I think we await Lance curio, he had the last correct answer.

Let's hope his question is kinder this time Wink

"poison"

nice and easy! Smile