South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Bytes - any advice appreciated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Would much appreciate any info/help with this.
Broadband in SA has a ceiling of 3megabytes per month, now is there anywhere, where I can check on a hourly/daily basis how many bytes have been used? How can I tell how many bytes a site is using and do I use bytes by just visiting/looking or only when I download?
I think that there are people more qualified than me able to answer this but here is what I think...

Everytime you type something, each letter uses a byte... Everytime you visit a page and there is something on it that is not stored in a cookie you use more bytes than if you have it in a cookie...

I am not sure if they also count the bytes you "upload" when typing or only downloads, including refreshing the screen. We have it here in Denmark and it works well for some people including a colleague who downloads lots of movies, I swear he spends more time downloading than watching them... :haha: But when he 'hits' his limit ( I think it's 5 GB) then it actually becomes quite cheap for him, but if he's just under it's quite expensive I think...

Like I said i don't know much about it or how many MB the average person, or specially you, uses....

Let's hope Picanin or Baud or someone else can help you better than I can Smile

picanin

Sooibrand sadly the skelms that run Telkom have decided that the cap is ALL traffic between your PC and the Telkom network. So anything you do on the net whether it be uploading files, sending email, browsing etc will cost you aprt of that cap. Capping is starting to take hold here but at more realistic levels so as a result I ahvent really had the need to monitor my connection. however, you can take a look at this software Bandwidth Monitor
Thanks for the replies - will just have to limit ourselves.
sooibrand Wrote:Would much appreciate any info/help with this.
Broadband in SA has a ceiling of 3megabytes per month, now is there anywhere, where I can check on a hourly/daily basis how many bytes have been used? How can I tell how many bytes a site is using and do I use bytes by just visiting/looking or only when I download?

Sooibrand,

On Telkom's web site is a subscription in which you can get a daily ? (I asked for a weekly) update.

With 3 kids and mom and dad we have never even broke 2 gig 's.

So yes 3 gig is a limit (just slows you down if exceeded) but if you do not download movies it will take you a long way ... :thumbs:
here u go .. online tracking by telkom ..

http://adsl.telkomsa.net/
Thanks Flying Bok - believe it or not the first month on broadband and we reached the limit on the 24th!!! But that said it was myself, hubby, daughter and son-in-law plus various others who all wanted to have a quick look at something. This month should be better as the newness has worn off. Thanks for the ling - this way we will be able to monitor and not 'run-out' before the end of month. Do spend ages chatting to daughter on Yahoo and she sends us on average about 10/20 photos and 2/4 video clips per day of the children

picanin

FlyingBok Wrote:Sooibrand,

On Telkom's web site is a subscription in which you can get a daily ? (I asked for a weekly) update.

With 3 kids and mom and dad we have never even broke 2 gig 's.

So yes 3 gig is a limit (just slows you down if exceeded) but if you do not download movies it will take you a long way ... :thumbs:

FB are you on one of the old ADSL packages? I am pretty sure that the new ones cut your internet access as soon as you go over the limit - Telkom advises users to purchase more than one ADSL subscription if they will need the extra.
sooibrand Wrote:Thanks Flying Bok - believe it or not the first month on broadband and we reached the limit on the 24th!!! But that said it was myself, hubby, daughter and son-in-law plus various others who all wanted to have a quick look at something. This month should be better as the newness has worn off. Thanks for the ling - this way we will be able to monitor and not 'run-out' before the end of month. Do spend ages chatting to daughter on Yahoo and she sends us on average about 10/20 photos and 2/4 video clips per day of the children

My son reminded me that we ran out on the first month ... :haha:

But it was 2 gig then.

Good luck and enjoy - it is not the best in the world but beats dial up - Almitra is also on broad band and I am sure she will vow it has it's up's and downs but overall lekker :thumbs:
picanin Wrote:FB are you on one of the old ADSL packages? I am pretty sure that the new ones cut your internet access as soon as you go over the limit - Telkom advises users to purchase more than one ADSL subscription if they will need the extra.

Nope .. just a slower restricted use Pics ..

here goes :

Quote:How does the ADSL 3GByte monthly volume cap work?

Once you have exceeded the 3 GByte cap your data will be transported over a restricted international link for the remainder of that month. Telkom will not cut the service or bill for additional usage however the restriction becomes worse towards the end of the month when the customers that do reach their 3 Gigabyte Cap contend for the same restricted bandwidth. The counter is re-set at the beginning of each month. Local traffic is not affected. Telkom are however looking at ways of redesigning the capping system to optimise user satisfaction.

Cheers
http://www.telkom.co.za/portal/page?_pag...ss_faq.jsp
Pages: 1 2