South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Savoury filling for pancakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Please help! I'm looking for easy/quick to make savoury fillings for pancakes. Can somebody help? Thanks ever so much
hantam Wrote:Please help! I'm looking for easy/quick to make savoury fillings for pancakes. Can somebody help? Thanks ever so much

You need:

2 eggs
¾ cup of milk
½ cup of flour
½ teaspoon salt

Savoury fillings

1. Make up a batch of savoury mince spiced up with worcestershire sauce, herbs and spices, fill each crepe, sprinkle with cheese, roll the savoury filled crepe and top with sour cream and serve.

2. Use the crepes for the layers in a vegetable, chicken or beef lasagna. YouÂ’ll be amazed at the texture and taste.

3. Use thinly sliced chicken breast or thigh fillets, cooked stir-fry style with Asian vegetables flavouring with soy sauce or oyster sauce, ginger, garlic, white wine and honey. Place a couple of spoonfuls in each crepe, roll up and serve.

Sweet fillings

1. Cooked apples, peaches or pears in thickened juices, with or without spices, with or without toasted nuts. Roll and sprinkle with sugar and brown under the grill.

2. Spread nutella on each crepe. Saute bananas whole, sliced lengthways or crosswise in brown sugar, orange juice and a little rum if desired. Place a couple of spoonfuls on each crepe. Roll and serve plain or sprinkle with sugar and brown under the grill.

3. Mix cream cheese, cottage cheese, quark or ricotta cheese with chopped cherries, toasted nuts, ginger, candied pineapple etc. Spread on pancakes, then roll, or fold pancake around filling and saute in butter. Serve with sour cream or thinned jam.

Method:

Combine ingredients in the order given in a food processor or blender. If mixing in a bowl, add egg then milk to dry ingredients and beat until smooth.

Pour a measured quantity, for example, 2 tablespoons, into a smooth, sprayed or buttered, preheated pan.

Immediately tilt the pan so the batter covers the bottom in a thin film. If the batter does not spread thinly, add more milk to thin the batter before making the next crepe. Do not worry if the pancakes are not evenly shaped circles.

When the batter no longer looks wet in the centre, ease edges of the crepe from the pan.

Lift carefully with fingers, over wooden stirrer if desired.

Dry the second side without necessarily browning it. Remove from the pan. Stack the crepes until required.

Place them on a plate in a plastic bag to stop them from drying out.

hantam Wrote:Please help! I'm looking for easy/quick to make savoury fillings for pancakes. Can somebody help? Thanks ever so much

Plenty of chilie & garlic mince.... Big Grin

Sorry but we normally use ice cream and jam over here, so not too clued up on the savory aspect....
If you use crepes to layer a savoury dish isn't it known as a galette/galantine or some such thing?
I love pancakes stuffed with a tuna mayo salad as well. but all the salad ingredients have to be chopped in cubes, like cucumber, tomatoes, gherkins, cheese, spring onion etc.

I also use to make pancakes filled with ince, mushroom sauce and cheese....mmmmm
Thanks for the good ideas - made a copy of it and will definitely use it again.

We have a very "international" group meeting in our home every Tuesday evening. We are sometimes 15 people of 14 different nationalities - wonderful cultural experience. We had a pancake, coffee and fellowship evening - lots of fun. (And they enjoyed the mince one!!!!)
Think I have to be more picky with the audience when using the chilli and garlic bits ....
(Thinking about it now, maybe use the chilli part for pancakes for my teenager - very mouthy at times - you think he might learn something???!!!) Big Grin

Thanks anyway for the idea
Bushbaby Wrote:If you use crepes to layer a savoury dish isn't it known as a galette/galantine or some such thing?

Sounds very impressive - I'm not so good at the cooking bit and would not know. Maybe when I use this idea, I will name it Bushbaby Galette or Bushbaby Galantine. Why not be creative with the names when not creative with the cooking???? Wink
Thanks for another great idea - will keep it for sure!!! :thumbs:
hantam Wrote:Think I have to be more picky with the audience when using the chilli and garlic bits ....
(Thinking about it now, maybe use the chilli part for pancakes for my teenager - very mouthy at times - you think he might learn something???!!!) Big Grin

Thanks anyway for the idea

You didn't say what it was for Smile Beisdes if they don't like / love chilli or garlic they can't be friends can they Wink

Happy to hear it was a success Big Grin
Pages: 1 2