South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For many years I have heard talk of the infamous Tibetan Book of the Dead. Just on Saturday I came across the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, written by Sogyal Rinpoche over ten years ago. It gives a clearer, more rounded treatise of Tibetan Buddhist philosophy than the original Tibetan Book of the Dead, and even though I am only a few chapters in, I have to say I am very very very impressed.

For those of you who have an interest in spirituality, regardless of the personal path that you follow, I would recommend that you get this book - it is a wonderful, rounded, addition to spiritual teachings of any religion.

This quote is one I am particularly fond of (already) and is a thought that has been echoed by so many religious teachers over the years:

"To follow the path of wisdom has never been more urgent or more difficult. Our society is dedicated almost entirely to the celebration of ego, with all its sad fantasies about success and power, and it celebrates those very forces of greed and ignorance that are destroying the planet. It has never been more difficult to hear the unflattering voice of the truth, and never more difficult, once having heard it, to follow it: because there is nothing in the world around us that supports our choice, and the entire society in which we live seems to negate every idea of sacredness or eternal meaning. So at the time of our most acute danger, when our very future is in doubt, we as human beings find ourselves at our most bewildered, and trapped in a nightmare of our own creation."

- Sogyal Rinpoche
Morning BB

Very interesting quote and in parts, so very, very true. Everywhere you look it's about 'self'. The world is an ugly and selfish place and it is slowly killing itself...and willingly.

It is not easy to swim against the general tide and it takes courage to be different.

From my walk of faith, I hear the voice of truth through the word, and I have a God who walks with me in my choice to follow Him, despite what I see happening in the world and this is where my spirituality differs.

I have a living God who will never leave me and to whom one day I will return too.

What is interesting is the Tibetan Book describes the world the Bible describes, but the Bible gives us a helper and comforter in this world, through the blood of Jesus Christ. Easter will remind us of this Gift.

Sue

Bushbaby Wrote:For many years I have heard talk of the infamous Tibetan Book of the Dead. Just on Saturday I came across the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, written by Sogyal Rinpoche over ten years ago. It gives a clearer, more rounded treatise of Tibetan Buddhist philosophy than the original Tibetan Book of the Dead, and even though I am only a few chapters in, I have to say I am very very very impressed.

For those of you who have an interest in spirituality, regardless of the personal path that you follow, I would recommend that you get this book - it is a wonderful, rounded, addition to spiritual teachings of any religion.

This quote is one I am particularly fond of (already) and is a thought that has been echoed by so many religious teachers over the years:

"To follow the path of wisdom has never been more urgent or more difficult. Our society is dedicated almost entirely to the celebration of ego, with all its sad fantasies about success and power, and it celebrates those very forces of greed and ignorance that are destroying the planet. It has never been more difficult to hear the unflattering voice of the truth, and never more difficult, once having heard it, to follow it: because there is nothing in the world around us that supports our choice, and the entire society in which we live seems to negate every idea of sacredness or eternal meaning. So at the time of our most acute danger, when our very future is in doubt, we as human beings find ourselves at our most bewildered, and trapped in a nightmare of our own creation."

- Sogyal Rinpoche
Would love to read this one - am definately going to get this ASAP !!!

:thumbs:
Sue and Almitra - I am grateful for the message taught in the Christian gospel, it provides a great deal of comfort in my daily life (especially considering how often I fall flat on my face).

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying offers a view that I find is in near complete harmony with my own beliefs, and it gives a greater understanding of what life is, and why it is so important to live it well. It dispels the illusions of our consumer culture, and encourages us to take the very brave step into the unknown and become acquainted with ourselves.
BB, I understand perfectly well what you're saying ........

One book that I have read over and over again, and that always comforts me - is "The Prophet" - by Kahlil Gibran. The writer by no means a Christian at all - but with so much wisdom that it really astounds me !!

:wings:
Almitra Wrote:BB, I understand perfectly well what you're saying ........

One book that I have read over and over again, and that always comforts me - is "The Prophet" - by Kahlil Gibran. The writer by no means a Christian at all - but with so much wisdom that it really astounds me !!

:wings:

Funny, I was looking at that book as well but did not buy it, will rectify that this weekend. Anything that helps me develop further as a person is worth the investment.