South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Boerewors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi....

I bought some wors at the butchery a few days ago. Usually I would only keep it for the braai, but I grew up also eating wors and mash...where the wors was made on top of the stove in a pan. I am so lus for this wors, and I am not sure I can wait until the sun eventally comes out....

Now my silly question.... how do you cook wors in the pan? There used to be a yummy gravy whcih we used to eat on the mash....

Can anyone help??
Bean of Love Wrote:Hi....

I bought some wors at the butchery a few days ago. Usually I would only keep it for the braai, but I grew up also eating wors and mash...where the wors was made on top of the stove in a pan. I am so lus for this wors, and I am not sure I can wait until the sun eventally comes out....

Now my silly question.... how do you cook wors in the pan? There used to be a yummy gravy whcih we used to eat on the mash....

Can anyone help??

Hi Beanie....

I think you just put a little bit of water in the pan, and let it cook on moderate heat until the water is gone and then brown it it's own fat.

Use the same pan for the gravy with the juices that's left.... if it was me, I would fry onions and then probably add Bisto to thicken it.... nothing fancy.

Enjoy it. Oh yes, remember to put a lid on the pan when it starts to fry.... fat will platter everywhere Wink
Thanx Pronks...

I am going to make this for later in the week.. too late to defrost the wors now....
If you want something really special chop up a few onions, sweat them in the pan until golden brown then add the sausage, remembering to prick a few holes in the skin to allow the fat to drain, cook together on a low to medioum heat and by the time the sausage is done you will have a lovely rich onion gravy to serve with it - we do pork sausages like this and it is delicious.