South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have any of you read this series by Alexander McCall Smith??

I was given them on Monday and am already on my 3rd book! :read: :read:

They are about a lady called Precious Ramotswe, living in Botswana and they really a delightful read!

:thumbs:
They are lovely - a really good find Smile

The latest, In the Company of Cheerful Ladies is my next book to read :thumbs:
dudette Wrote:They are lovely - a really good find Smile

The latest, In the Company of Cheerful Ladies is my next book to read :thumbs:

Yip, we are ordering that this week! :cheer:
Strawbs Wrote:Yip, we are ordering that this week! :cheer:

I have read them all and they are the best books I have read in a long long time. I cannot wait for the next one.
I was really really going to make the same post tonight! Smile

I read the first three in January, and finished "The Kalahari Typing School for Men, and is hopefully going to finish The Full Cupboard of Life tonight.

I just love it, there is a lot more humour in the last one....

Excellent light reading!

Smile

Pronkertjie Wrote:I was really really going to make the same post tonight! Smile

I read the first three in January, and finished "The Kalahari Typing School for Men, and is hopefully going to finish The Full Cupboard of Life tonight.

I just love it, there is a lot more humour in the last one....

Excellent light reading!

Smile

I just love all the "africanisms" and the simple outlook on life, if only everybody could adopt their attitude to life. I read "tears of a giraffe" in one day :read: Im supposed to be packing and I can't put these books down.. feel like I have moved to Botswana :haha:

My favourite character name so far, is the photographer in Joburg called "Polaroid Khumalo" :crylol: Paints such a pretty picture....
Strawbs Wrote:I just love all the "africanisms" and the simple outlook on life, if only everybody could adopt their attitude to life. I read "tears of a giraffe" in one day :read: Im supposed to be packing and I can't put these books down.. feel like I have moved to Botswana :haha:

My favourite character name so far, is the photographer in Joburg called "Polaroid Khumalo" :crylol: Paints such a pretty picture....

Yes, I just love the creative ways she solve everyones problems.... drinking Rooibos tea and eating biltong Smile

Happy packing Strawbs!

:daisy:
Is this the whole series?

The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Tears Of The Giraffe
Morality for Beautiful Girls
The Kalahari Typing School for Men
The Full Cupboard of Life
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies
Yebo.SA Wrote:Is this the whole series?

The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Tears Of The Giraffe
Morality for Beautiful Girls
The Kalahari Typing School for Men
The Full Cupboard of Life
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies

:thumbs: I hope he writes some more tho... I believe that they are turning it into a TV series.. pity we dont get SABC here!
Strawbs Wrote::thumbs: I hope he writes some more tho... I believe that they are turning it into a TV series.. pity we dont get SABC here!

I just finished the Full Cupboard of Life...

Really smiled at this bit:

Mma Makutsi, sitting at her desk, looked down at her shoes, as she often did in moments of crisis; her shoes, always her allies, but now so inhelpfully mute, as if to convey: don't look at us, we said nothing. You were the one, Boss. (in her mind, her shoes always addresed her as Boss, as the apprentices addressed Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni. This was right for shoes, which should know their place.)

:haha:
Pages: 1 2