South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Opera vs Firefox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think we have a split who uses what.

I downloaded and used both and to me nothing touches Opera.

What do you say ??? And Why ?
I Have never used Opera and now use Firefox for 95% of my browsing.

Often the Forefox browser messes up the design of the site which displays fine in Internet Explorer.

There are many extensions to firefox and since using it, I have had no issues with popups.

I have never considered Opera

[Image: blackadder.gif]
FlyingBok Wrote:I think we have a split who uses what.

I downloaded and used both and to me nothing touches Opera.

What do you say ??? Ang Why ?
Hi FB

I still use both as some sites prefer one over the other. For instance "Gmail" doesn't work with Opera. There are other similar situations so I keep them both available. The downside I find is that there are some sites which are only optimised to work with Internet Explorer, unless you do a lot of tweaking for the others to work. Personally I can't be bothered. In these situations I go in then out and shut IE down straight away. I then resume surfing on whichever other Browser I happen to be using at the time.

So far this has worked well for me because I get the best of what each has to offer.

I hope this helps.

Regards

HH
:thumbs: Confusedurfing: Confusedunny:
Gmail works with my Opera ?

Thanks for the replies gents.

Yes SS everyone to his own taste - I really like Opera and the fact that I can open multiple windows in one window plus refresh them when and at what time I want them.

Never had a crash as well from Opera :babyroll:

Tx all

picanin

FlyingBok Wrote:Gmail works with my Opera ?

Thanks for the replies gents.

Yes SS everyone to his own taste - I really like Opera and the fact that I can open multiple windows in one window plus refresh them when and at what time I want them.

Never had a crash as well from Opera :babyroll:

Tx all

FB the ability to open multiple tabbed sites in one window is for me the greates thing about Firefox and Opera. I tend to stick to Firefox which is probably the most popular browser on Linux boxes - there are a number of others like Konqueror and Galeon but Firefox and Opera still come up trumps.

I do however notice myself that certain sites screw up in Firefox. Sadly a lot of sites are written for IE or use MS widgets and seeing as MS doesnt stick to the proper W3 standards these sometimes display poorly in a W3 compliant browser.
I started using Opera as that was the only way I could use G-mail but sadly something has 'bugged' it so I've downloaded Firefox... I've still not explored both fully so I cannot prefer one or the other yet, but I love Opera, when it works like it should.... Big Grin
Certain sites that require activeX wont work if you set it to identify itself as IE. Opera does not support ActiveX or VBscript due to the doubt surrounding the lack of security of these.

I read somewhere that previous versions of Opera do work with G.mail.

I tried firefox , but had a lot of crashes so i switched to Opera. I absolutely love it. The tabs, the download manager and lots more about it.
picanin Wrote:FB the ability to open multiple tabbed sites in one window is for me the greates thing about Firefox and Opera. I tend to stick to Firefox which is probably the most popular browser on Linux boxes - there are a number of others like Konqueror and Galeon but Firefox and Opera still come up trumps.

I do however notice myself that certain sites screw up in Firefox. Sadly a lot of sites are written for IE or use MS widgets and seeing as MS doesnt stick to the proper W3 standards these sometimes display poorly in a W3 compliant browser.

Muat admit I did not know that Firefox could also open multiple windows in one ? :duh:

Tx will definately try it then further as it is a great feature.
Jangar Wrote:I started using Opera as that was the only way I could use G-mail but sadly something has 'bugged' it so I've downloaded Firefox... I've still not explored both fully so I cannot prefer one or the other yet, but I love Opera, when it works like it should.... Big Grin

Yesh Jan I suddenly have the same problem with the latest version 7.54u2

I downloaded this on Friday with our new home kaputer and since then I can not star gmail messages / it does not automatically check for mail and and and ... definately a bug in the latest one Sad
angelbabe Wrote:I read somewhere that previous versions of Opera do work with G.mail.

Yip agree the previous version (that's still on my lapdog in Ghana worked perfectly so I will just stay with it :thumbs: