South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Help! Discount Car Hire in Cape Town?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Daniela

Discount Car Hire in Cape Town ?

I have been searching for the discount car rentals and not had much luck - HELP please.

There are a lot of people coming out to SA and Cape Town in particular, within the next 3 months and they have asked me to try help them find cheaper car rental places.

Any suggestions.......Can anyone HELP ?????
Have you tried Europcar? Alamo was also good Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Daniela

I have been searching for the discount car rentals and not had much luck - HELP please.

There are a lot of people coming out to SA and Cape Town in particular, within the next 3 months and they have asked me to try help them find cheaper car rental places.

Mornin' D

When all our mates came out to CT in March for the wedding last year we used a firm based in Claremont, Vineyard Car Rentals.

I approached about 20-odd rental firms, including all the big boys, and got quotes as we were going to need about 10 cars. I found them all to be very much the same rate wise, what attracted us to Vineyard was that they were prepared to offer a discount for bulk rentals and offred a free drop off and collection service plus, all the cars were new with very low mileage (unlike the wreck we picked up in Durban from Europcar, but that's a whole other story!).

If you do find anyone mega cheap can you post their details here so that we can all get a bit of the action? Thanks.
Dany there is/was a company in Sybrand Park who I got fantastic rates from once. But cannot remember there name and have searched the net and yellow pages like mad to find them again. They met you at the airport to deliver the car and collect it from you there when you depart. See if you have more luck than me Sad

TIP for ALL:

If one hires a car from a company not at an airport terminal (or a branch of that company that is but NOT from their airport branch) anywhere in the world. The rates are always better, as their is an airport tarrif built into all cars hired from airports.

Daniela

Thanks to you all for the suggestions. Will get on to them all in the morning and see what I can find.

I will definitely keep you posted for future reference...

Thanks
More Dani,

When Seasider tried to rent a car all was out.

I send him everything in the yellow pages and he got sorted out.

There are quite a few in our area. SOmeone's I have never heard off ?

At least he got it right and last I spoke to him - he was happy Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Daniela

Apart from the names already mentioned above, the following link is of the company I used in Cape Town. They can be found at http://www.southafricarent.co.za/. They are not based at the airport but meet and collect from the airport on arrival and departure.

On the day we arrived they did not have the car I had ordered so they gave me an upgraded model at no extra cost.

Check them out from the above link. I made all my arrangements via email afterwards.

Good Luck.

Regards

HH
Cool

Daniela

Thanks FB and HH and all the others and those who have pm'd me as well.....your help has been greatly apreciated. I have been on the phone and emailing for 3 days now and am amazed at the ripping off that is going on.

I will keep you all posted as to what I find out and will I think try and wangle a deal for us all somehow for the future.
Have a look at the airline website of Kahlalua, dont know how to spell. Sometimes if you fly with them they throw in very reasonable rates for car rental.
the cheapest i found was carmania
in claremont - dirt cheap - cheaper than the ones i have used before
the cars are usually city golfs and good runners
last year jan/feb i paid R100 per day - which included my mileage as i just went here and there - not travelling inside sa
the deposit was R2500 BUT it had an old fashioned credit card machine - where u have to write it on a slip and it doesnt go thru unless presented at teh bank - they keep that until u give the car back in one piece - then they hand it back to you to tear up

dirt cheap i think