South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Chips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you cook them from scratch or make oven chips? I know it's a strange question, but a few weeks ago I had to show my one Brit friend how to make homemade chips (seriously! Big Grin ) & I had my neighbours' son around for supper a few nights ago & he told me he'd never had homemade chips before. He was really impressed! :dazed: :haha:
Definitely oven chips Big Grin

So are we going to be having a home made chip butty in 1½ weeks time ?
Jangar Wrote:Definitely oven chips Big Grin

So are we going to be having a home made chip butty in 1½ weeks time ?

I can't stand oven chips. Sick If you want a home made chip butty, you may have one! You're going to be an easy guest! :haha:
Venus Wrote:Do you cook them from scratch or make oven chips? I know it's a strange question, but a few weeks ago I had to show my one Brit friend how to make homemade chips (seriously! Big Grin ) & I had my neighbours' son around for supper a few nights ago & he told me he'd never had homemade chips before. He was really impressed! :dazed: :haha:

I don't like oven chips either....and also make everything from scratch. I've had to tell quite a few people how to make mash...the majority here make instant mash (ugh). My son's one friend had dinner with us (bangers and mash). I met him at the supermarket about a week later...he came running to me to tell me that his mum had made mash from scratch.
Too many a time I've almost burnt the house down making chips the proper way, so I've gone the safer route of oven chips ... I like to think it is healthier Smile

But smash? Sick yuk yuk yuk Sick
Don't like oven chips either, they taste like plastic !!!
(And it's covered in chemicals to prevent them from coloring !) Sick

Potatoes cut only in quarters, fried with the skins still on - I love that !!!

Few varients on mash - chuck in a can of baked beans in tomato-sauce, or add garlic, butter and feta cheese ............ that's so yummy !!!!!
Rumour has it that he makes the best chips you have ever eaten.

I haven't tried this method yet, but for a Chef to be voted the best restaurant in the world... perhaps its something to try sometime.
Tripled cooked chips
First cook the chips in some water until they're almost falling apart. Drain them off and put them in the fridge.

When they're cold, cook them in groundnut oil at 130c until they take on a dried appearance, and before any colour. Put them in the fridge again.

Cook them in oil or kidney fat at 190c
Source: Simon Wright's 'Tough Cookies'
Might be the best in the world, but making chips that way should just as well take up the best part of one's day too ???
:haha:

Tough cookies..... ja-nee! Wink
Pages: 1 2