South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Americanised school prayer.....makes on think....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since the Pledge of Allegiance and The Lord's Prayer are not allowed
in most public schools anymore Because the word "God" is mentioned....

A kid in Arizona wrote the attached NEW School prayer.

Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule
For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow
Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.
The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate,
God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.
It's "inappropriate" to teach right from wrong,
We're taught that such "judgments" do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; My soul please take!

Amen
No real need to comment on this is there?

I am always amazed at the deep hatred and contempt that so many people have toward religion. They have a complete inability to recognise the good within the different religions but would rather focus on the evils committed by a handful of individuals. Given that religion lays the moral foundation of society, without it we can only go backward.

I agree there are problems in some of the established churches, but if you go past those constructs to the word of God as contained in the Bible it remains a rich resource to guide and direct us in our lives.
To be very honest here, I am having to pick my words very carefully, this is how strongly I feel about this subject. One can virtually do as one pleases and it is ok, but mention that you are a Christian or that you believe in God and that you openly say your prayers, then you are frowned upon.

Has this world, especially the so called "free World" gone totally mad?? Rolleyes

I am proud of what I am and my feelings, and if somebody does not like it, then tough!
Oom Rob Wrote:To be very honest here, I am having to pick my words very carefully, this is how strongly I feel about this subject. One can virtually do as one pleases and it is ok, but mention that you are a Christian or that you believe in God and that you openly say your prayers, then you are frowned upon.

Has this world, especially the so called "free World" gone totally mad?? Rolleyes

I am proud of what I am and my feelings, and if somebody does not like it, then tough!

And yet is'nt this what the Lord predicted would happen in the last days?
Just my :2cents: worth...

Being irreligious I agree with the decison of the American schools not to force "The Lord's Prayer" on everyone as I don't believe for one second that you can force anyone to believe something (by legal means that is...)

Forcing kids to listen to only "The Lord's Prayer" is a kind of brainwashing as they don't get to hear Buddah's and 'whatever other religions' primary prayers...

That was 1 cents worth, here is the other cents worth...

No-one should be able to dictate when or where someone someone wishes to pray or show respect as long as it respects people nearby... (e.g. falling to your knees facing east or shouting out "The Lord's Prayer" at the top of your voice in the middle of an exam...)

Just my :2cents: worth Smile
Jangar Wrote:Just my :2cents: worth...

Being irreligious I agree with the decison of the American schools not to force "The Lord's Prayer" on everyone as I don't believe for one second that you can force anyone to believe something (by legal means that is...)

Forcing kids to listen to only "The Lord's Prayer" is a kind of brainwashing as they don't get to hear Buddah's and 'whatever other religions' primary prayers...

That was 1 cents worth, here is the other cents worth...

No-one should be able to dictate when or where someone someone wishes to pray or show respect as long as it respects people nearby... (e.g. falling to your knees facing east or shouting out "The Lord's Prayer" at the top of your voice in the middle of an exam...)

Just my :2cents: worth Smile
Jangar...........it is not based on the Lord's prayer.....

This is the Lord's prayer:

Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen

The other is based on an old childens prayer:
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.

child's bedtime prayer - 18th century

No where does this little "prayer" I posted critizise any other religion......... not what you or Bushbaby may feel or think, but why can't people like Oom Rob and myself not express our feelings freely?

:2cents:

Why do us Christians always get shot down?
Joan Wrote:......... not what you or Bushbaby may feel or think, but why can't people like Oom Rob and myself not express our feelings freely?

:2cents:

Why do us Christians always get shot down?

Joan,
We all know that Jangar does not believe - but I think you're totally wrong re Bushbaby ??
And please keep on expressing your feelings - that's what makes each of us unique and interesting, ok ??
Almitra Wrote:Joan,
We all now that Jangar does not believe - but I think you're totally wrong re Bushbaby ??
And please keep on expressing your feelings - that's what makes each of us unique and interesting, ok ??
I do apologise Bushbaby, in all honesty, I did not read your posting properly.
Almitra, you are correct, we are all unique and I believe that God has made each of us that way.

Please accept my apologies Bushbaby.
Hi ALL

please remember that this thread is in the Christian Faith Praise and is not in the open Religious Forum.

Do note: This sub-forum is for the Praise of the Christian faith and is not an area to challenge the faith. Praise is the keyword.

Maybe this thread would be better served in the open forum

Just a reminder

Thank you

ForumAdmin
Joan Wrote:I do apologise Bushbaby, in all honesty, I did not read your posting properly.
Almitra, you are correct, we are all unique and I believe that God has made each of us that way.

Please accept my apologies Bushbaby.

Hi Joan,

No worries. I respect all religions as they inevitably encourage their follower to lead virtuous lives. I am Christian myself and agree with what you have shared. I do believe that freedom of expression works both ways. If those of a secular bent choose not to believe, fine, but in doing so they should not inhibit the practises of those who do (of whatever faith). Those who do believe have every right to do so, and observe their practices, provided they do not force them on others who are not receptive to such things.
Pages: 1 2