South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Aargh Help!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We were at church last night and got talking to one of the people there. Anyhow, somehow, we have volunteered to have a South African braai for the whole ward(local parish)!!!

This will take place in June sometime - date to be confirmed - and we (i.e two people) will be cooking for about 200 people!!!!!!!!!

Now, the obvious potato salad, noodle salad and sousboontjies are going to be present. Also, boerewors, chicken sosaties, possibly lamb sosaties, and toasted sandwiches (done on the braai) are on the menu. Dessert will be milktart (cos it can be made in advance).

What else should be on the table (bearing in mind we have a budget)?
You can...if you want to make a rice salad with bits of canned peaches, green/red peppers and bits of sautes onions... that can also be make in advance.

The other suggestion, which is really quick and easy to make is curried peach salad. It is basically chopped onions, sautes in butter, then add some curry powder and tumeric, drain tinned peaches and add the syrrup, let it all boil until thick and then pour it over the peaches. If this is made a day or two in advance i tastes even better! Let me know if you want the receipe...

You can also always make some pap en sous! :luck:
A huge pot of pap & sous! :p However, the locals will probably hate it! Sick :haha:

Perhaps you could find a recipe for a nice potbrood? :luck:
What about baked beans with banana...you add curry powder, milk and mayonaise....divine with a braai. Will give you the exact measures if you're
interested :mmm: :luck:
Penelope, Bean of Love, Venus - recipes please!!!!

Icecub

try vetkoek with mince in it, a nice potato dish with layers of bacon and cream...stunning dish - a winner that my Mom makes....
Icecub Wrote:try vetkoek with mince in it, a nice potato dish with layers of bacon and cream...stunning dish - a winner that my Mom makes....

Sounds yummy! Do you have a recipe or some guidelines for me?

I figure seeing as every meal I have had at an Irish home has had two to three potato dishes on the table serving multiple variants of potato will not be frowned up here.

Icecub

Bushbaby Wrote:Sounds yummy! Do you have a recipe or some guidelines for me?

I figure seeing as every meal I have had at an Irish home has had two to three potato dishes on the table serving multiple variants of potato will not be frowned up here.

will bel my mom and email the resep to u.... :hug:
Mushrooms with cheese and garlic!!
Butternut cooked in the coals with butter and garlic!
Cheese tomato and onion toasties!!
Potato bake!!
Icecub Wrote:will bel my mom and email the resep to u.... :hug:

Bene grazie!
Pages: 1 2