South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: FAT - Saturated or not
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I am starting to eat more healthy and am so confused with all this calories intake, fat intake etc.

Now how am I supposed to know how many calories a day I am supposed to have and how many fat (g) a day I am supposed to have?

And when I look at the ingredients on items it says Fat (g) and then underneath Fat (Saturated) grams? Now am I supposed to note down the Fat (g) or the saturated fat (g)? I did read somewhere that a female is to have 60g of Fat a day and a male 90g but my question to you is of Fat or saturated as there seems to be a big difference?

Any feedback would be great!!!!

Thanks
Weight Watchers works according to the amount of saturated fat in an item. The lower the amount of saturated fat, the lower the point value.
Yep....go on the Saturated fat......but also be very careful of the sugar content.... a lot of the low fat products are very high in sugar........Why dont you buy a Weight Watchers magazine? It has menu plans and recipes in there so it will give you some idea on what type of meals you should be eating.
Quote:Originally posted by chel
Hi all,

I am starting to eat more healthy and am so confused with all this calories intake, fat intake etc.

Now how am I supposed to know how many calories a day I am supposed to have and how many fat (g) a day I am supposed to have?

And when I look at the ingredients on items it says Fat (g) and then underneath Fat (Saturated) grams? Now am I supposed to note down the Fat (g) or the saturated fat (g)? I did read somewhere that a female is to have 60g of Fat a day and a male 90g but my question to you is of Fat or saturated as there seems to be a big difference?

Thanks

Chel

have you tried the Atkins diet?? it has 4 stages and it calls for life style changes to what you eat it does work especially for Saffers who like meat!

here's the link:

http://atkins.com/
Saturated fats are the bad ones and you should avoid them. They are solid at room temperature, so they are fats like lard, margarine etc.
Unsaturated fats are not so bad and some are even good for you in the right quantities... like olive oil, sunflower oil, etc.

If my memory serves me right, each has roughly the same calorific value, but I may be wrong.
Hi all,

Thanks

Ask Cheffie - he's a head chef. He's got a thread going under the business section - Anyone involved in Hotel / Catering Industry.

Thanks

I didn't read the whole of your post, I'm afraid... In order to maintain your weight, the average woman should be taking in about 2000kCal per day, and if you want to lose weight, you shouldn't take in less than 1600kCal.
Good luck Smile
Hi everyone,

Thanks for that info, really useful. I was counting the normal Fat and my breafkast this morning was already 30g, I was thinking well thats already half my intake. Well after recounting it correctly it isnt as bad.

Thanks Dudette, yip you are right I dont want to loose wait just want to maintain my weight as eat more healthily.

I am not over weight (yet) but want to make sure that I dont get there. As they say it is easier to do something when you dont HAVE to. So better do it now than wait till its too late.

Thanks for all your help!!
Quote:Originally posted by PAV
Chel

have you tried the Atkins diet?? it has 4 stages and it calls for life style changes to what you eat it does work especially for Saffers who like meat!

here's the link:

http://atkins.com/

she has asked for 'healthy' eating
this is not a healthy diet
Quote:Originally posted by jewels
she has asked for 'healthy' eating
this is not a healthy diet
jewels, I was tempted to reply to this, but thanks ..........you did it!!!Wink
Pages: 1 2