South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: What happend in history today, May 29
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Patrick Henry was born on May 29, 1736. Mr Henry was an American patriot best known for never having been able to make up his mind. Asked the simplest question, Mr Henry found himself befuddled for days. It therefore came as no surprise to anyone who knew him when, given the choice between liberty and death, he famously pronounced that either would be welcome. History records his vow at St. John's Church in March of 1775 as "Give me liberty or give me death!" Eyewitnesses and other contemporaries claim he actually said, "Liberty, death, whatever, let's just wrap this thing up."

John F. Kennedy was born on May 29, 1917, and is best remembered for telling Americans they had nothing to fear but fear itself, an axiom that many Americans found problematic in the face of increasing cold war tensions, imminent nuclear war, an escalating presence in Vietnam, the troubled state of race relations, and the ubiquitous threat of poisonous snakes. Born on the same day but several centuries earlier (in 1630), was King Charles II of England, best known for the saying, "Give me back my throne."

Born on May 29: Annette Bening (1958), Al Unser (1939), John F. Kennedy (1917), T.H. White (1906), Bob Hope (1903), Patrick Henry (1736), and King Charles II, England (1630).

May 29 is Flag Day in Finland