South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Goats Cheese
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

TracyW

Confused on this one - have been advised to cut out dairy products, not having a problem with that other than missing my cheese. A friend has said that goat's cheese is not "dairy" and is allowed. Any ideas? Is the process of making goats cheese different to cheese from cow's milk?
Goats cheese is, as far as I know, lactose-free. So it depends on your reason for cutting out dairy from your diet. Are you wanting to avoid lactose? Smile

TracyW

It's the whole debate of adults not needing milk in their diet and that the milk builds up mucous (sp?) in the body.
But women, especially, need a good calcium source. Smile
One has got to acquire the taste of goats cheese as it has a very different taste to other cheese. When I first came to Norway I had a problem eating it but enjoy it now. The goats cheese that I eat here is rather sweet.
penelope Wrote:One has got to acquire the taste of goats cheese as it has a very different taste to other cheese. When I first came to Norway I had a problem eating it but enjoy it now. The goats cheese that I eat here is rather sweet.

I don't know about the U.K. but the goats cheese here is nothing like the one you have in Norway, which I learned to enjoy. I think it has a kind of caramel flavor to it. Ours is rather strong tasting. Sick

TracyW

Venus Wrote:But women, especially, need a good calcium source. Smile

Venus that is what the companies like to tell us - I've even checked this with my doctor, if you eat sufficient green veggies you obtain a better quality of calcium than from the so called "milk" that we have. Milk these days is so processed and boiled and had stuff added to it. Think about it, milk used to go off within three days - now you can have it in your fridge for over a week to ten days - makes you think eh?

I've never liked the actual taste of milk anyway, have it in tea and coffee and that is about it.

As for the goats cheese, definitely an acquired taste but love it on top of veggies and under the grill for a few minutes.
The soft goats cheeses can be a bit um, well pungent. You can now get some really really nice mature goats cheeses that have a texture somewhere between parmesan and cheddar. In Dublin we get them flavoured with things like garlic and caraway seed as well - both of which are delicious.

If you are new to goats cheese try something like Boursin as it is very mild.

If you are suffering with a dairy allergy that is linked with lactose then goats cheese is acceptable as a substitute.
Read in the paper today that one organisation recommends that adults drink at least ½ a liter of milk and pensioners even more for the calcium.

Then two pages further on I read that adults shouldn't drink milk...

What is one to believe :confused:

The dark brown Norweigan goats cheese (Myse ost?) is delicious as is Greek feta though the ones we get here in Denmark are made from cow's milk with additives to make it taste like goat cheese.... Rolleyes They are then exported to Greece only to imported as a Greek product... :duh:
Jangar Wrote:The dark brown Norweigan goats cheese (Myse ost?)
Jan, Myseost and goats cheese are different. Whenever I eat goats cheese I always think of you :mmm: Will bring you some the next time we are in Aarhus....
Pages: 1 2