South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Lions Tour Down Under ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Goldminer Wrote:Now did I really say that before the first test? Smile Smile Smile

I guess so, the selections were shown to be as flawed as expected in the end Smile
The front five in particular must show a vast improvement and more bodies must be committed to rucks and mauls to secure quick possession. The All Blacks slowed all the Lions second and third phase ball down and were therefore able to organise their defences.
Outside center is a definate problem now with BOD and Shanklin out. Smith is too inexperienced and with the best will in the world Greenwood is no threat in attack anymore. Horgan maybe or even Jason Robinson?
Shame about Richard Hill, I sincerely hope that todays reports about him never playing again are wrong. A great "forwards" forward- always prepared to put in the hard work while others did the flash stuff!
I had to listen to the game on the radio as I am at work today Sad But it sounded like the Lions put on a better show today, however the All Blacks simply turned up another gear and were awesome :thumbs:
First 10 minutes looked good for the Lions but they couldn't keep up that intensity and the All Blacks were, by a country mile, too strong.
So ....... Sir Clive said they had a "succesfull tour" down under ... :rofl:
seasider Wrote:People who live in glass houses, must not throw stones. Confusedea: :mmm:

At least we agreed that we played like the Pom Ex-World Champs .. sad and badly ... bruised and battered :tongue:
From the Sunday Times Column ...

:worthy:

Quote:CLIVE Woodward did some mighty stupid things on the Lions tour of New Zealand, but his biggest blunder may have been hiring Machiavellian spin doctor Alistair Campbell.

A former PR man for Tony Blair, his first mistake was to try to wring every ounce of criticism from the British and Irish media over the Brian O’Driscoll “spear tackle” incident. It was an ill-considered smear campaign. As if rugby hacks could be fooled by a grubby political animal.

Campbell continued to bumble on, but the controversial spinmeister truly came into his own with a spectacularly appalling ambush that has only just come to light.

After Welsh centre Gavin Henson, one of the stars of the Six Nations, was left out of the Lions Test side, Woodward took a lot of heat and there were reports that Henson was furious.

No worries. Campbell quietly suggested to Woodward that he and Henson “privately” take a quiet walk together, to demonstrate the absence of a rift. The picture was duly taken and the PR man, presumably thrilled with his creative instincts, ensured it was distributed. Poor Henson hadn’t a clue.

Campbell’s limp defence was that it was a “positive thing to do for the player”.

Due punishment would be a return trip to New Zealand — preferably straight to the bottom of a ferocious ruck.
Pages: 1 2