South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Book recommendations - 20-26 June
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fiction
"All that remains" by Patricia Cornwell this is the 3rd book she has written and I have only discovered these books now - after years of recommendations. This is another Kay Scarpetta thriller, the book opens with a young couple who is missing, turns out that they were the 5th couple to be murdered in a line of "couple murders". The FBI is involved in a cover up, as they withhold crime scene information. And of course Scarpetta goes on her own journey along with her side kick Pete Marino to discover the truth. It is a fairly good book, although I found it not as exciting as her first 2 novels, I just hope that as she progresses with the rest of her books that they get better. The book continues the life, and excitement of one pathologist in the world of crime and thrillers. I have included this book in the reviews as this was the latest one that I have read and I enjoyed it.

Non fiction
"Just Like Mother Used to Make" by Tom Norrington-Davies is a cook book I picked up from the library a week ago. This is a fabulous cook book which is based on the good old easy British favourties. A lot of these foods are the comfort foods, and the recipes are easy to follow and most recipes are preceded by an interesting explanation filled with info and tips. Every day food which is good to feed your family on. There are a couple of recipes from around the world, which are an English adaptation.. For a real value easy to follow book, this is a great cook book !

Children's Corner

Yesterday I was sitting on the train from London and was very surprised to see that amongst all the "suits" at rush hour there was young man sitting reading a Roald Dahl book - "George's Marvellous Medicine" ! The chap was in his early 20's and even though this is a children's book it just goes to show that Roald Dahl till captures all ages ! You will find various cereal boxes have 3 different Dahl books free - "George's Marvellous Medicine", "The Magic Finger", "Esio Trot". There are many others which will entertain both children and adults some of my favourites will remain "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "James and the Giant Peach". There are some folks who think that his books are a little advanced for children, but take the fairy tales we tell 3 and 4 year olds, they are sometimes quite disturbing and yet children love them - I know I did. As long as these are all read without being serious - they are loads of fun for both children and adults alike.

:read: