South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Bougainvillea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a dark purple one, it did really well outside in the garden until about November but I had to take it out when it started to get cold as it didn't look good. I brought it indoors and although there is no leaves and it looks really dry it is sprouting all over.

Should I keep it indoors or plant it out in the garden again??/

Tara

Quote:Originally posted by birdie
I have a dark purple one, it did really well outside in the garden until about November but I had to take it out when it started to get cold as it didn't look good. I brought it indoors and although there is no leaves and it looks really dry it is sprouting all over.

Should I keep it indoors or plant it out in the garden again??/

Hiya birdie, I remember you asking about this before winter! I am so pleased that it has survived! Big Grin

Definitely plant it out again, but only once all threat of frost has passed - most probably mid May, by which time it will be bursting out all over the place. Keep your eye on the weather predictions to see whether it will be frosty. You could actually keep it in a pot, to make it easier to move around. It will be happy outside in the pot.

Well done. Can we see a photo of it in Summer please?
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Hiya birdie, I remember you asking about this before winter! I am so pleased that it has survived! Big Grin

Definitely plant it out again, but only once all threat of frost has passed - most probably mid May, by which time it will be bursting out all over the place. Keep your eye on the weather predictions to see whether it will be frosty. You could actually keep it in a pot, to make it easier to move around. It will be happy outside in the pot.

Well done. Can we see a photo of it in Summer please?

Of course I'll take a pic.

It is not very big but in the summer time it grew quit a lot....considering how small it was when I bought it.

Will it survive once it is bigger? I don't want to keep on replanting it.

Someone suggested to keep it in the garden but cover it with bubblewrap...?????

Tara

Of course I'll take a pic.

It is not very big but in the summer time it grew quit a lot....considering how small it was when I bought it.

Will it survive once it is bigger? I don't want to keep on replanting it.

Someone suggested to keep it in the garden but cover it with bubblewrap...?????

If you keep it in the pot, it will prevent it from getting huge. I wouldn't use the bubble wrap method until the plant is at least 4 or 5 years old. It is a very tender plant and will do better if it is out of the cold entirely in winter.
She is coming on nicely....I repotted it in the garden. ( I know it is early). But since it is out in proper ground again it is just bursting out of it's takke. I can't wait for the first flower!!!

Tara

She is coming on nicely....I repotted it in the garden. ( I know it is early). But since it is out in proper ground again it is just bursting out of it's takke. I can't wait for the first flower!!!

Well London is quite mild and if you keep it in a sheltered position you might just get away with it! Big Grin

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Tara

So Birdie it's just over a month later, you've been away, London has had snow and frost so tell me:

How's the Bougainvillea? :eek:
So Birdie it's just over a month later, you've been away, London has had snow and frost so tell me:

How's the Bougainvillea? :eek:

Well...I am happy to say she survived it......

Lost a few leaves...but she is a strong baby!!!!

(when I was in SA and heard about the weather here, I thought she was going to skop die emmer...)

Tara

Well...I am happy to say she survived it......

Lost a few leaves...but she is a strong baby!!!!

(when I was in SA and heard about the weather here, I thought she was going to skop die emmer...)

Crikey!! That's a lovely surprise and a relief then eh? Hmmm now I'm seriously thinking of getting one this year! Big Grin
Crikey!! That's a lovely surprise and a relief then eh? Hmmm now I'm seriously thinking of getting one this year! Big Grin

I have a soft spot for my bougainvillea.... Other half came back a week before me and told me over the phone that it died.....I was very relieved to see it was alive when I got back...(men Rolleyes )
Pages: 1 2