South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: How do you
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
explain death to a 7 year old.

Connor is an extremely well adjusted boy when it comes to things passing, we've had fish die so many times and a rabbit.

But my aunt has now passed and I don't know what to say in the morning.

:help:
My sincerest condolences, Cali. The closest I have experienced is when our close friend died, but that was when our children were little, so I haven't gone through this (yet).
I think I would start by telling my kids that the person has died during the night, and we won't see her again, except in our memories of her. I would try encourage my kids to remember their goood times with her, but not deny any sad feelings they may have over her passing.

This will be a bewildering time for him, I am sure, but if you give him lots of love and reassurance (which I am sure you already do Smile ) I am sure he will cope fine. Kids bounce back so easily, don't they.
Thank you Dudette,

I woke him up (thought sleepyhead was better) this morning and siad she was very ill but now she is happy etc and with the angels.

You're right, he took it on the chin, more concerned that Granny and Granddad are okay.
Cali.... I am sorry to hear about your aunt. Were you close to her. Someone once said that 'saying goodbye is not something you can practice and get good at'.

I grateful Conor took it better than you thought.

Blessings :lovef:

:daisy:
Sorry to hear about your aunt Cali.....it's much better telling them the truth in a simple way :hug: ..... pleased that Connor took it well :lovef:
Cali,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Little people are very reslillient, and I am glad that Connor took the news well. :wings:
He's a little trouper. Went to the funeral today and he was marvellous. Gave him a pocket of peppermints but he read the hymn book and sang for all he was worth and while I was crying, he took my hand and then gave me a hug.

He went a bit teary during the committal bit but I think that's cos we all were.

Aren't children so amazing!
Cali Wrote:He's a little trouper. Went to the funeral today and he was marvellous. Gave him a pocket of peppermints but he read the hymn book and sang for all he was worth and while I was crying, he took my hand and then gave me a hug.

He went a bit teary during the committal bit but I think that's cos we all were.

Aren't children so amazing!
Cali, they are amazing and children do adapt very easily.

Having lost a mother when I was still a child, I know what I am talking about, I was older than what Connor is now, but still a child.
My sons were very young when my own father died, they were very sad, but soon "forgot"... I do not know how else to explain it to you, but children have this ability to "forget" sadness, depending on the reason for the sadness.

:lovef: :lovef:
I'm so sorry about your loss, Cali. :hug: Connor has been such a brave little man. You must be so proud of him! Smile
Cali Wrote:explain death to a 7 year old.

Connor is an extremely well adjusted boy when it comes to things passing, we've had fish die so many times and a rabbit.

But my aunt has now passed and I don't know what to say in the morning.

:help:

Only saw this now. Sorry to hear about your loss Cali. My son was 3yrs old when his daddy died unexpectedly in a carcrash. As you can imagine I didn't know how I am ever going to tell him, let alone raise him on my own. Our GP at the time, also a very good friend, told me that kids are amazing when it comes to things like death, and the way they react.
Obviously he will be heartbroken when I tell him, but to only answers questions what he ask and take it day by day. My little boy was so brave, and most of the time it was him comforting me, with this little hand on my shoulder saying so many times :"its okay mummy, I am here with you!" :bigcry:
He would ask questions like don't they brush their teeth in heaven because I saw daddy's tooth brush is still here!....