South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Benni wants to move
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
London - South Africa striker Benni McCarthy has raised the stakes in his face-off with Porto by telling the former European champions he will not renew his current contract which expires in two years.

"We have already discussed this point and he won't renew," his agent Rob Moore told Portuguese radio station Radio Renascenca.

Moore said Porto had rejected a bid for McCarthy from Blackburn Rovers but the 27-year-old was still intent on playing in the English premiership this season.

"He still has two years left on his contract and he will play it out. He is a professional. But that doesn't mean he doesn't want another challenge," Moore said.

"On the contrary he wants to play with another club, preferably in England. But while he is with Porto he will do his job to the best of his abilities and always with a smile on his face," he added.

McCarthy, Porto's top scorer for the past two seasons, almost went to Everton last season before Porto quashed the deal at the last minute.
I do not think Porto have done themselves any favours in dealing with this matter regarding McCarthy wanting away. Now that clubs know that he will be leaving there in two years time (for nothing if need be) not many clubs are going to "break the bank" to get him now.
Oom Rob Wrote:I do not think Porto have done themselves any favours in dealing with this matter regarding McCarthy wanting away. Now that clubs know that he will be leaving there in two years time (for nothing if need be) not many clubs are going to "break the bank" to get him now.

But wont he have lost some of his edge by then?
could have sworn I read somewhere that he was going to a new club? Was a month or so ago so maybe old news.... maybe wasn't even him. (I might be going mad!)