South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Vegetarian
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a dinner party for six people on Sunday and one of them is a vegetarian.

What can I give this person except for the veggies and roasted potatoes that I'm planning to make for the rest of the meat eaters.

The difficult thing is that I don't want her to feel although I went all out just to cook something especially for her but how and what else?

I tried stuffed mushrooms once but I can't give that to her again.

And do I make enough of the vegetarian dish for everybody or just for one person?
Quote:Originally posted by Surita

What can I give this person except for the veggies and roasted potatoes that I'm planning to make for the rest of the meat eaters.

The difficult thing is that I don't want her to feel although I went all out just to cook something especially for her but how and what else?

And do I make enough of the vegetarian dish for everybody or just for one person?

Cheffie will probably answer this, but a veggie lasagne is always liked by everyone....Smile
thats true. Why not have a vegetarian night....
You could make stuffed vine leaves (cabbage is a good subsitute) and stuff some with fish and the remainder with a veggie filling - lentils, chickpeas or beans with a light tomato and chilli sauce would do it. Or you could simply do a pasta with a cheese sauce, do stuffed peppers, aubergines, courgettes as a starter, or a cream of .... soup?
I think the three South African males will kill me if I try to give them a vegetarian meal!!!

Thanks for the ideas guys.
tell them that you have become a vegetarian
If you look in the supermarkets you can get all sorts of vegetarian alternatives to meet, like veggie sausages etc. Why not get something like that so her plate is very similar to the rest Smile

Hi Surita

Simply done and simply executed is what you want..

whether you have to make something only for her.. and in turn tempt the others remains to be seen.

For starters (for all guests) a simple roasted Pumpkin soup, garnished with shaved gruyere or another 'hard cheese'

For main course:
Wild Mushroom, confit garlic and herb pancake Gateau with Parmesan crackling, mushroom foam and perhaps a selection of baby winter vegetables on the side.

Simply put:
Wild mushrooms, sauteed, seasoned and then allowed to cool. Make a savoury pancake, line a mould with clingfilm and the pancake on top of that (so that when you remove the shape, the pancake hasn't stuck to the sides of the mould). Place your mixture in the pancake, fill with a quiche mixture and then steam for approx 20-30 minutes.

The garnishes I'm sure you can work out Wink

Shout if you need a better description
:chef:
Sjoe that sounds very exotic. First of all - I know what a quiche is but how do I make it.

I'm chef of the boxes and ready made pancakes variety!!!

I just received an order for Malva poeding for desert.

Cheffie do you do take away's and delivery from your restaurant because that malva poeding is devine?
Sjoe that sounds very exotic. First of all - I know what a quiche is but how do I make it.

I'm chef of the boxes and ready made pancakes variety!!!

I just received an order for Malva poeding for desert.

Cheffie do you do take away's and delivery from your restaurant because that malva poeding is devine?

Hi Surita

Quiche mixture - ie: eggs milk and some seasoning - do a search on the internet for a few different varieties Wink

Re the pancakes.. also a simple recipe should suffice.

As for the Malva pudding.. LOL. nope, we don't do takeaways. Like all the other recipes it's very easy to make Smile

Let us know how you get along..
Pages: 1 2 3