South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Story of the season..........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WILLIAMS CONFIRMS BUTTON RELEASE

The Williams team has confirmed that it has freed Jenson Button to drive for his team of choice, BAR-Honda, for 2006 and beyond.

Button was contracted to Williams for next year but was adamant that he wanted to race for BAR, triggering a protracted and unseemly dispute which was quickly dubbed ‘Buttongate’.

The two parties appeared to be at a stalemate before Williams acceded to ButtonÂ’s request to be released from his contract in return for substantial compensation.

Williams said in a statement: “As consideration for the release from the terms of his contract, Jenson has agreed a financial settlement with WilliamsF1."

Button was grateful for the co-operation of team owner Frank Williams.

“I would like to thank Frank for accommodating a compromise to what was a binding contract and I regret the difficulties my decision has caused everyone involved,” he said.

“I am glad that we have brought this matter to a conclusion and we can return to what we do best – racing,” added Williams.

No details of the financial settlement between Button and Williams were released, but estimates range from £10 to £20 million.

The compensation, plus the lower salary Williams will pay any of the likely replacements for Button, will boost the teamÂ’s coffers at a time when it has lost the financial backing of engine partner BMW and principal sponsor Hewlett Packard.
incredible ... one wonders whether he has done himself any favours

:f1:
TheDuck Wrote:incredible ... one wonders whether he has done himself any favours

:f1:

I think its the right move! Considering Williams have lost sponsership with various companies and its going to take a lot for them to get that kind of money back. Whereas BAR are almost at there peak
lols Wrote:I think its the right move! Considering Williams have lost sponsership with various companies and its going to take a lot for them to get that kind of money back. Whereas BAR are almost at there peak

I guess only time will tell, what are Ferrari doing to improve on their 2005 performance?
mcamp999 Wrote:I guess only time will tell, what are Ferrari doing to improve on their 2005 performance?

Not much they can do! I do know that the engine reg's are changing in the 2006 season and Ferrari are already running the 2006 engine specifications. Wether that will make a difference or not its a game of wait and see!
lols Wrote:Not much they can do! I do know that the engine reg's are changing in the 2006 season and Ferrari are already running the 2006 engine specifications. Wether that will make a difference or not its a game of wait and see!

I expect it won't be long before Schummi retires then, or leaves for another team.
mcamp999 Wrote:I expect it won't be long before Schummi retires then, or leaves for another team.

Probably end of 2006 he will retire. I cannot see him move to another team. Not at this stage.
mcamp999 Wrote:I expect it won't be long before Schummi retires then, or leaves for another team.

His contract with Ferrari ends at the end of the 2006 season, he has mentioned that he'd like to stay on (this was a few years ago) but let's wait and see....

I heard that they were thinking of Alonso as replacement but only time will tell...